11 February 2016 - 12 February 2016Time: 1:00 - 5:30pm
Venue: Bearsted Lecture Theatre, New Dental Hospital, Turner Street, Whitechapel, London E1 2AD
This conference is organised by the Centre of European and International Legal Affairs (CEILA) and supported by the Energy Charter Secretariat.
The conference will bring together legal experts, practitioners and policy-makers to discuss the interaction of EU law with investment arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty. The objective is to set out and assess the legal and practical arrangements, which govern the involvement of the European Union (EU) and its Member States in investment arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT). It aims to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date coverage of the topic and explore the broader implications of the application of the investment provisions of the ECT on i) the integrity of EU law and ii) international investment law and, in light of the above, iii) assess the added value of the ECT for energy investments.
Addressing these questions, the conference is divided into three parts. Part I will focus on the “intra-EU” aspects of investment arbitration under the Energy Charter Treaty. The papers in this part will assess how investment tribunals deal with EU law and also look into the compatibility of the intra-EU application of the ECT with EU law. Part II will focus on the “extra-EU” aspects of the Energy Charter Treaty. It will explore how recent developments in EU investment policy affect it, focusing among other on the implications of the new EU FDI competence and the autonomy of EU law as well as into the question when and how the EU and its Member States bear international responsibility and can be parties to “extra-EU” investment arbitration. Part III will examine the added value of “intra-EU” and “extra-EU” investment protection under the ECT. Contributions in this part will explore the protection of energy investments under EU law and the ECT, addressing if and why the ECT as a sectoral investment agreement is still needed for the protection of energy investments in Europe.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr Urban Rusnak, Secretary General of the Energy Charter Secretariat
- Dr Matteo Barra, Energy Charter Secretariat
- Professor Christian Tietje, University of Halle
- Christer Söderlund, Magnusson Law
- Markus Burgstaller, Hogan Lovells
- Dr Constanze Von Papp, Keele University
- Dr Andres Delgado, Durham University
- Dr Robert Basedow, OECD
- Dr Catharine Titi, French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and CREDIMI, University of Burgundy
- Colin Brown, European Commission
- Dr Martins Paparinskis, University College London
- Professor Panos Koutrakos, City University London
- Dr Anna DeLuca, Bocconi University)
- Professor Leigh Hancher, Allen & Overy, Tilburg University
- Professor Peter Cameron, University of Dundee
- Dr Mavluda Sattorova, University of Liverpool
- Philipp Stegmann, University of Halle
Download the full programme here.
For directions to the venue, please refer to the map.
How to book
Please book your place via the QMUL e-shop. Last booking day for this event is 9 February 2016.
- Individual registration - £70
- Full-time Academics, NGO, Barrister or Government Department registration - £50
- Student registration - £20.
For more information on this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography, video and audio recording
School of Law events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email email@example.com in advance of the event that you are attending.