6 April 2016 - 7 April 2016
Time: 8:30am - 7:00pm
Venue: Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London, 67-69 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3JB
The 2016 Global Intellectual Property Moot Court (GIPMC) is an internal moot for postgraduate students at QMUL CCLS. The competition runs from September 2015, with its final – oral stage concluding in April 2016.
The mock case this year focuses on utility of pharmaceutical patents and state's liability to protect confidential information against whistle blowers. The students are participating in two parallel tracks; first, in proceedings simulating the WTO dispute resolution system (track 1) and second, in proceedings simulating the investment treaty arbitration (track 2). All rounds are judged by esteemed academics and practitioners in the field of intellectual property law, WTO law and international arbitration.
Associated with the GIPMC, a Roundtable discussion will be held on the 7 April 2016. It is titled "Upping the Game: FTAs and IPRs", and it will take place in the form of a debate, in contrast to paper presentations. The aim is to explore the effect of the new Free Trade Agreements, such as CETA, TPP and still negotiated TTIP on the minimum standard of IP protection under TRIPS.
Wednesday 6 April 2016
- 8:30 am - 9.00 am: Registration
- 9:00 am - 10:30 am: Round I - Track 1 (WTO)
- 10:30 am - 12:00 pm: Round II - Track 1 (WTO)
- 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm: Round III - Track 1 (WTO)
- 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm: Lunch Break
- 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm: Round IV - Track 2 (Investor-State Arbitration)
- 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm: Round V - Track 2 (Investor-State Arbitration)
- 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm: Round VI - Track 2 (Investor-State Arbitration)
- 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm: Tea and biscuits
- 7:30 pm: Finalists Announcement
Thursday 7 April 2016
- 9:15 am - 10:00 am: Welcome
- 10:00 am - 11:30 am: Final Round I - Track 1 (WTO)
- 11:30 am - 1:00 pm: Final Round II - Track 2 (Investor-State Arbitration)
- 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Lunch Break
- 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm: Roundtable on "Upping the Game: FTAs and IPRs"
- 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm: Awards and Drinks Reception
How to Book
This is an internal event that is strictly for QMUL students only.
For more information, please contact the Moot Court Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography, video and audio recording
Please note that CCLS events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email the CCLS Events Team on email@example.com in advance of the event that you are attending.