21 November 2017Time: 2:00 - 7:00pm
Venue: Room 313, Third Floor, Law Building, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, E1 4NS
The Conversations on International Law and Materiality: International Law, Materiality and Art workshop is co-hosted by the Centre for European and International Legal Affairs (CEILA) and the Centre for Law and Society in a Global Context (CLSGC). The workshop is organised by Dr Jessie Hohman and Dr Isobel Roele.
The purpose of the workshop is to stimulate rich and vibrant engagement with questions of the materiality, material culture, and material implications of international law. The particular focus of this first workshop is on art, materiality and international law.
'The Ethics of Representation and its Dilemmas: Critical Design and Critical International Law in Conversation' by:
- Dr Christine Schwobel-Patel, Senior Lecturer in International Law, University of Liverpool
- Dr Deger Ozkaramanli, Lecturer in Industrial Design, University of Liverpool
'The role of indigenous paintings as legal evidence in colonial Mexico's courts of law' by:
'Image, Art and Object in International Law: A Focus on Maps' by:
- Professor Amanda Perry-Kessaris, Kent
- Professor Sionaidh Douglas-Scott, Queen Mary University of London
- Erica Segre, Lecturer in Latin American Studies, University of Cambridge
- Chaired by Dr Jessie Hohmann, Senior Lecturer in Law, Queen Mary University of London.
For directions to the venue, please refer to the map.
How to book
This event is free but prior booking is required. Register online via Eventbrite.
For more information on this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography, video and audio recording
School of Law events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email email@example.com in advance of the event that you are attending.