Professor Guy S Goodwin-Gill
24 November 2014Time: 6:00 - 8:00pm
Venue: Room 210, Law Building, Mile End Campus
To launch the unique LLM in Immigration Law programme at Queen Mary University of London, the School of Law is hosting an inaugural lecture by guest speaker Professor Guy S Goodwin-Gill. The lecture opens the 2014-15 academic year and will be followed by a discussion with the audience and a drinks reception.
LLM in Immigration Law Inaugural Lecture 2014-15: "The Continuing Relevance of International Refugee Law in a Globalised World"
About Professor Guy S Goodwin-Gill:
Guy S Goodwin-Gill is a Emeritus Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, Emeritus Professor of International Refugee Law, and a Barrister at Blackstone Chambers, London. He is a leading authority in international refugee law, widely cited by tribunals and appellate courts across jurisdictions around the world. He is the Founding Editor of the International Journal of Refugee Law and has written extensively on refugees, migration, international organizations, elections, democratization, and child soldiers.
His recent publications include the introductory notes to various treaties and instruments on refugees, statelessness, and asylum for the ‘Historic Archives’ section of the UN Audio-Visual Library of International Law as well as:
- ‘Non-Refoulement, Temporary Refuge, and the “New” Asylum Seekers’, in Cantor & Durieux (eds), Refuge from Inhumanity? War Refugees and International Humanitarian Law (Brill, 2014) 433;
- ‘The International Law of Refugee Protection’, in Fiddian-Qasmiyeh et al. (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Refugee and Forced Migration Studies (OUP, 2014) 36;
- ‘The Dynamic of International Refugee Law’ (2013) 25 International Journal of Refugee Law 651;
- ‘Palestine, UN Membership and Popular Representation: International Legal Challenges and Strategic Options’, in Qafisheh (ed.), Palestine Membership in the United Nations: Legal and Practical Implications (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2013) 30;
- ‘The Search for the One, True Meaning...’, in Goodwin-Gill & Lambert (eds), The Limits of Transnational Law (CUP, 2010) 204;
- Brownlie’s Documents on Human Rights, with the late Sir Ian Brownlie QC, (OUP, 6th edn., 2010);
- The Refugee in International Law, with Jane McAdam, (OUP, 3rd edn., 2007).
For directions to the venue please refer to the map.
How to Book
This event is free but prior booking is required. Please register via the Queen Mary Eventbrite page.
For more information on this event, please email email@example.com.
Listen to a podcast of LLM in Immigration Law Inaugural Lecture 2014-15: "The Continuing Relevance of International Refugee Law in a Globalised World" by Professor Guy S Goodwin-Gill (approx. 45 minutes). Choose 'Play' to play video, slides and audio.
Photography, video and audio recording
Department of Law events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the event that you are attending.