Collective Awareness Platforms (CAPs) Information Day at Queen Mary, University of London - 2 July 2012
The School of Law hosted a high profile event organised with the European Commission to launch the CAPs programme prior to the publication of the call on 9 July 2012.
There were three speakers in the morning followed by an open forum in the afternoon. It was a great opportunity for Queen Mary academics to develop ideas and find partners with other universities and third sector organisations, but also to contribute in shaping the CAPs programme for future calls.
- Fabrizio Sestini, Scientific Officer, European Commission DG Information Society, presented the objectives of the call which are to promote diffuse, bottom up social innovation by leveraging on the networking potential of Internet.
View Fabrizio Sestini's Podcast [mp3]
View Fabrizio Sestini's Slides [PDF]
- Geoff Mulgan, CEO of NESTA, gave a panoramic overview of the current initiatives using internet and social media.
View Geoff Mulgan's Podcast [mp3]
View Geoff Mulgan's Slides [PDF]
- Francesca Bria, identified the critical issues that need the support of further research.
View Francesca Bria's Podcast [mp3]
View Francesca Bria's Slides [PDF]
- The open forum was open to all participants to present their ideas and ask for feedback from the audience. The criteria of selection will be the standard FP7, but the content of the proposal is left to the imagination of the participants.
You can continue the discussion on the LinkedIn Group 'Social Innovation Europe'.
For further information, please contact Luce Jacovella email@example.com.
- Anna Bryson is a member of the School of Law at Queen Mary, University of London. For the duration of the Peace Process: Layers of Meaning project she is on secondment to the Centre for Contemporary Irish History at Trinity College Dublin.
View Anna Bryson's slides [PDF].
- Satish Kumar is Director India Initiative & Senior Lecturer Queen's University Belfast.
View Satish Kumar's slides [PDF].
- Luce Jacovella is Research Officer for the School of Law, Queen Mary University
View Luce Jacovella's slides [PDF].
- Daniele Cavallotti - Social innovation project scouting: eDemocracy, health and lifestyle, innovative rural development
View Daniele Cavallotti's slides [PDF]
- Jarmo Elukka Eskelinen, CEO - Forum Virium Helsinki, Chair - European Network of Living Labs
View Jarmo Elukka Eskelinen's slides [PDF]
- Hamish Cunningham
View Hamish Cunningham's slides [PDF]
- Jon Danzig - Jon Danzig is a campaigning journalist and media director, with many years experience in the world of writing, photography and short film production.
Comment on images:
- Daily World Newspaper: “This was a typical front page of world news that was compiled for a United Nations project – news that happens every day in the world, but is rarely reported because it happens every day. This front page is now many years old – but has the news really changed?”
- “Yes But What Can I Do?”: newspaper edited by Jon Danzig for a United Nations project. The newspaper reported on individuals and action groups across the world who were campaigning on issues such as hunger, the environment, poverty, the arms race, sustainability and all the other problems confronting the earth community.
- “World in Action Poster” – some of the people and action groups across the world featured in the “Yes But What Can I Do?” newspaper edited by Jon Danzig
- “Campaign Coffee poster” – with some friends in Oxford, Jon Danzig imported three tonnes of coffee from Tanzania and launched “Campaign Coffee”, which helped to start the concept of ‘Fairtrade’ coffee in the United Kingdom. To hear a recent BBC radio interview with Jon Danzig about Campaign Coffee go to: Jon Danzig on BBC: How we started the idea of Fairtrade Coffee
At a seminar organised by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, Jon Danzig asked business leaders if ‘bad business practice’ can be tamed through awareness raising alone, or if it always requires legislation to achieve. View the YouTube Video 'Jon Danzig asks about Business Ethics'.
Additional presentations and expression of interest:
- Ann Mumford - View Ann Mumford's slides on FemTax.