Completing a postgraduate law qualification at Queen Mary can be an excellent way to consolidate and enhance your legal experience whether you intend to practise in your own country or to develop an international legal career. Senior practitioners and academics from leading law firms, chambers and other universities contribute on our programmes, providing excellent networking opportunities for our students.
We have an extensive network of alumni with whom we continue to develop strong links in order to inform and advise our current students. Queen Mary Career service organise a number of events, featuring representatives from top UK and international law firms, to help you understand the legal job market and decide on your most appropriate career route after graduation. You will also be able to take advantage of a wide range of other careers events and services to gain more information about law and non-law careers and receive advice on job hunting and applications.
In addition to the numerous services provided to all Queen Mary students, Queen Mary Careers organise a range of career sessions for LLM students. The sessions will provide:
- Information on routes to practise law in the UK, including information about the Qualified Lawyer Transfer Scheme
- Advice and information on immigration for overseas lawyers (provided by Queen Mary Advice & Counselling Service)
- Awareness of the requirements and recruitment processes of international law firms who recruit LLM students
- Advice on adapting your CV for a UK or international job market
- Tips on how to perform successfully in UK job interviews
- Insight into the skills and qualities required of UK and international lawyers and an understanding of how recruiters will assess them
- Advice on how to use networking and social media in your career research and job hunting.
These sessions will feature alumni and representatives of leading UK and international law firms and legal training providers. As well as these events Queen Mary
Careers provides dedicated one-to-one appointments for LLM students with a specialist law careers adviser to help you plan your career, develop an appropriate job hunting strategy, improve your CV and applications and prepare for job interviews.
Queen Mary Careers provides a range of services to help you to develop your career. We provide one-to-one career appointments where you can get advice on identifying suitable career options, conducting in-depth career research and refining your job hunting, application and interview skills. We also organise an extensive programme of careers fairs, presentations and workshops throughout the year, featuring speakers from prominent UK and international employers, giving you an insight into a wide range of career options. We run several specialist events focusing on law and finance careers, such as the Finance Speed Meet and various practical skills sessions run by leading banks and law firms. The School of Economics and Finance also organises numerous events including talks by the FSA and the Bank of England, who come to talk to students about financial regulations and their effect on the financial markets. For more information visit the Careers Events calendar: QM Careers service