School of Law

Postgraduate menu

FAQs for Distance Learning Computer and Communications Law Programmes

Distance Learning Computer and Communications Law programmes:

If you cannot find an answer to your query below, please contact Informa by email: or Tel: +44 (0)20 7017 5906

Frequently Asked Questions

Application process

Distance Learning teaching and learning

Q: What are the entry requirements?

Computer and Communications Law

Applicants should hold a Bachelor's degree in Law, of satisfactory quality, or equivalent legal qualifications.

Q: What are the application procedures?

In order to apply, you must supply:

  • a transcript of your law degree marks
  • any other supporting qualifications
  • one reference letter
  • proof of English language proficiency

As we do not interview prospective students, these documents will form the basis of any decision made.

Q: Does Queen Mary provide scholarships or bursaries for Distance Learning?

No, not for the distance learning programmes.

Q: I wish to check on the progress of my application. Who do I contact?

Joanna Horsfall, Informa by Email:

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7017 7214
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7017 5858

Q: I am still waiting to get my reference letter. Can I submit my reference after my application form? Where do I send it?

Yes you can submit your reference letter after your online application. You can send it directly to Joanna Horsfall, Informa Professional Academy, Maple House, 149 Tottenham Court Road, London, W1T 7AD.

Q: What do you require in the reference - what must be included?

References should be signed and sealed in an envelope with the referee's signature across the back. Please ensure that the reference is typed on headed paper, states your full name and date of birth and includes the title of your chosen Distance Learning Programme to ensure that it can be matched to your application.

Academic reference (preferred)

  1. Verification of the fact that the academic referee has known you, the student, for a certain length of time. They must also give your full name and not an abbreviated or nickname. Also indicate the name of the course for which you are applying.
  2. Confirmation that you have attended a specific course.
  3. Class or mark of your degree or expected class of degree. (If expected please ensure it is made clear that this is an opinion and not a fact).
  4. Comment on your skills and abilities.
  5. If you have extensive legal experience, a professional reference can be submitted.

This could include:

  1. Verification of how long you were employed.
  2. Confirmation that you were working in a legal capacity and some detail of the type of work involved.
  3. Comment on your skills and abilities.

Q: What documents do I need to supply when applying?

You will need to complete the online application form and upload scanned documents, transcripts of your Law degree or any other relevant qualification, and one reference (preferably academic, if this is difficult, due to the passage of time for instance since your first degree, you can provide professional references if they are law related).

If you are made an offer you will be expected to provide certified copies of your qualifications (scanned copies will not be accepted) by registered post.

Q. What do I have to do if my degree transcript is not in English?

You must have any degree transcript that is not in English translated before submission. Translations must come from one of the following:

  • Officially certified translator
  • Solicitor
  • British council/Embassy
  • Registry of the university within which you studied the course (for example, if translating transcripts) Translations must be officially signed and stamped accordingly. We require a copy of the foreign transcript document and the English translated copy. If you are made an offer, you will still have to provide the originals or notarised / certified copies of any transcripts, certificates etc. by registered post.

Q: What if I have not finished my first degree or obtained a language test result?

You should still apply and provide a transcript of degree marks achieved so far. You will then be made a conditional offer showing our requirements from your country/university.

Q: What are the English language requirements for the programme?

All students from countries where English is not the first language must supply a TOEFL or IELTS language test result. If you took your degree overseas and were taught in the English medium but your country’s main language is not English, you still have to provide a language score. The standard of English language used varies from region to region and indeed from university to university. It is therefore vital that all such students provide English language scores. If you have not yet taken an IELTS/TOEFL test at the application stage, you should still apply. If your IELTS/TOEFL results are not yet available, you could be made a conditional offer, subject to our normal academic requirements.

  • Students who submit a language score for consideration which does not meet the full language entry requirements of 7 overall 7 writing IELTS (and equivalent TOEFL) may still retake and submit a higher language score before enrolment

Q: Do I need to include a personal statement or CV?

These are not essential, but can be useful particularly in unusual applications or where there is professional legal experience.

Q: What if I do not meet the conditions contained in my offer?

If you do not meet the academic conditions, you could still submit a formal application with all the required documents. We may still consider this application and in borderline cases, take into account other relevant qualifications and relevant work experience and accept you in the course. However, it should stressed that admission in this case would remain at the exclusive discretion of the programme director.

Q: Do I need to indicate the options I wish to take on the application form as requested?

No, this portion of the application form can be ignored - you simply need to indicate which Distance Learning programme you are applying for under the ‘Course Title’ section. No further information on your courses is needed at the application stage.

Q: Where do I submit my application, language scores and other required documents?

All applications and supporting documents for Distance Learning Computer and Communication Law courses are handled by Informa on our behalf and documents should be sent direct to them. View contact details for Informa.

The Application Process

All applicants are automatically emailed once an online application has been submitted.

Q: Can I practise in England and Wales with a LLM or a Diploma?

No, but the School of Law offers a two-year LLB known as 'Senior Status'. The Senior Status LLB programme allows the student to obtain a ‘qualifying law degree’ in two years. Thereafter, it is necessary to complete the vocational stage of qualification - the Bar Professional Training Course (to become a barrister) or the Legal Practice Course (to become a solicitor). A period of practical training is then required.

For information, see Bar Standards Board and Solicitors Regulation Authority.

If you hold a recognised legal professional qualification from another jurisdiction you may be eligible to take the QLTT.

Q: Where will my teaching/chat sessions/take home exams be held?

All teaching for the Distance Learning Programmes are carried out at home, students will be provided with a CDROM, some comprehensive books and an online virtual learning environment.

Q: Do I have to visit London at anytime during the programme?

Computer and Communications Law

In March/April we hold optional Residential Weekend, for students to present a research paper and obtain 15 credits towards their degree programme.

Q: How many hours of teaching will I have each week?

This depends on which modules you take, but as a general guide you should expect about seven hours a week per module.

Q: What will the Distance Learning teaching timetable be like?

Computer and Communications Law

Modules are assessed by 20 percent tasks, 30 percent essays and 50 percent final exercise (open book).

All teaching is via a Virtual Learning Environment (currently Blackboard). Students will be able to take all assessment in their own home.

Q: How and when do I choose the topic of my dissertation?

Computer and Communications Law

We recommend that students opt for the dissertation options once all taught modules have been completed.

Q: Which libraries will I use?

Students will be supplied with materials (laws, rules, conventions, reading lists and some full-text articles and cases) in electronic form on CD-ROM, and are given access to web materials (including access to WESTLAW, LEXIS and KluwerArbitration) via the programme website and the Queen Mary library website. In all cases, we make sure that students have access to all the materials necessary for the course.

Q: The thought of writing a dissertation is daunting! What help is available?

Students will have the constant support of a personal tutor, who will discuss with students issues such as research, structure and content of the dissertation.

Q: Will I have a personal tutor?

Your personal tutor is usually the relevant programme director or one of the module convenors.

Q: What happens if I fail the examinations?

It is quite normal for students to have anxieties about failing examinations. Our experience, however, is that relative few students fail a course. Distance Learning students are highly motivated individuals and we only admit people who we believe can successfully complete the programme. If, however, you do fail to meet the required standards, this is the advice we give: Computer and Communications Law students may fail up to at least 30 credits during the duration of the programme and may select other modules to obtain the required credits for the relevant programme (Diploma 120 Credits; LLM 180 credits).

Q: When will I get my official University of London degree certificate?

Your Postgraduate Degree Certificate is sent out centrally from Senate House at the University of London - not Queen Mary - six months after the award date. The certificate will not state ‘Distance Learning’ it will state only the programme and degree awarded. Whilst waiting to receive your certificate, if you require confirmation of your award, the Registry Office at Queen Mary can issue its own certificate of confirmation.

Academic Registry, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS

Tel: +44 (0)20-7882 5005
Fax: +44 (0)20-7882 7810

Return to top