QLLM153 International Arbitration and Energy (Sem 2)
International arbitration proceedings in the energy sector have seen an important increase in recent years, both in terms of their numbers and their economical and political importance. This course provides the students the basis for understanding the particular issues of disputes in the energy sector.
The module will deal with both investment and commercial arbitration proceedings. In particular, topics covered by the course include:
- Dispute resolution under the Energy Charter Treaty;
- Most famous energy disputes in history including, for instance, (i) Saudi Arabia v Arabian American Oil Co (ARAMCO), (ii) BP Exploration Co Ltd v Libyan Arab Republic; (iii) Kuwait v American Independent Oil Co (AMINOIL); and (iv) various Yukos cases;
- Commercial disputes relating to the adaptation of long-term contracts, including price revision clauses; and
- Energy Commodities Disputes.
- LLM in Comparative and International Dispute Resolution
- LLM in Energy and Natural Resources Law
- General LLM
- LLM Flexible Study.
Mode of Assessment:
7,500 word essay