QLLM452 Advanced Issues in the Law of the Sea: Uses of the Oceans and Functional Regimes (Sem 2) (Not running 2018-19)
The module will assess the extent to which the rights and duties of coastal and flag states are reconciled in the maritime zones, as well as the legal and judicial approaches from the perspective of public international law. The interests of developed and developing countries and archipelagic and land-locked states are also emphasized. Advanced and contemporary issues in under various functional regimes will be examined in detail.
- Land-locked and geographically disadvantaged States
- Straits for International Navigation
- The Regulation of Fisheries
- Conservation of marine biodiversity, and marine genetic resources
- Protection of the Marine Environment
- Seabed Activities and Offshore Installations, Pollution from Land-based sources
- Marine Scientific Research
- Piracy and the prosecution of crimes at sea
- Demilitarisation of the oceans and Military uses of the sea in peacetime
- Dispute Settlement
- QLLM451 Introduction to the International Law of the Sea - Ocean Governance and Jurisdictional Zones.
- LLM in Public International Law
- LLM in Energy and Natural Resources Law
- LLM in Environmental Law
- Laws (General)
- LLM Flexible Study.
Mode of Assessment
2.15 hour written examination