Welcome to the UK Branch of the International Association of Legal and Social Philosophy (IVR). The IVR was founded in Berlin on 1 October 1909 and has since then blossomed into a genuinely global association, with many active national sections. The purpose of the Association is the cultivation and promotion of legal and social philosophy. The Association is open to all relevant scholarly disciplines. Read more about the International Association of Legal and Social Philosophy.
The executive of the UK Branch is as follows:
- Convenor: Dr Maksymilian Del Mar, Queen Mary University of London
- Treasurer: Dr Emmanuel Melissaris, London School of Economics
- Secretary (interim): Dr Ting Xu, Ther University of Sheffield.
UK IVR Annual Conference
The UK Branch organises an annual conference to coincide with its AGM.
23-24 October 2015 - UK IVR Annual Conference 2015 Public/Private: Unlocking the Boundaries of Legal Thought, School of Law, Queen's University Belfast
- Professor Saskia Sassen (Columbia University)
- Professor Maeve Cooke (UCD)
- Professor George Letsas (UCL)
- The 2014 conference 'De-juridification: Appearance and disappearance of law at a time of crisis' was held at the London School of Economics.
- Listen to podcasts from the 2013 UK IVR Annual Conference, Legal Theory and Legal History: A Neglected Dialogue, held at Queen Mary University of London.
- The 2012 conference ‘Rights, Morality and the Law’ was held at the University of Birmingham.
The UK IVR mailing list informs members of upcoming events in legal and social philosophy. To join, please email Dr Del Mar: firstname.lastname@example.org. Organisers of events are encouraged to email news of relevant upcoming events of potential interest to legal and social philosophers.
Each branch of the IVR pays membership fees to the general IVR. To help cover these fees, membership to the UK Branch is set at £15 for students, £25 for early career academics (within 5 years of the award of their doctorate) and £35 for academics and professionals. To become a member, send a cheque made out to ‘UK IVR’ to the following address:
UK IVR, c/o Dr Maks Del Mar
Department of Law
Queen Mary University of London
For any queries about the UK IVR, please email Dr Maks Del Mar email@example.com.