Iris Benöhr, PhD (EUI, Italy), License en Droit (UniNE, Switzerland), Zurich Bar
Lecturer in Law and British Academy PD Fellow
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)2078828627Room Number: CCLS
Iris Benöhr is as a Lecturer in Law (Assistant Professor) and a British Academy PDF at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). Prior to Queen Mary she worked as a British Academy PD Fellow at the Law Faculty of the University of Oxford. She holds a PhD and Master in law (European University Institute, Florence) and a Licence en Droit (University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland). She was admitted to the Bar, Zurich (Switzerland) and held positions at an international law firm (Cleary Gottlieb), at the United Nations and at the European Commission. In addition, she has held visiting posts at various institutions including the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg, the Institute of European and Comparative Law at the University of Oxford, the Swiss Institute of Comparative Law, Lausanne and the University of Wisconsin. Her main research interests lie in comparative and European private law and she has published widely in the fields of EU consumer law, comparative dispute resolution and financial services law. She has been involved in policy related projects commissioned by the United Nations and the Swedish Government on comparative financial services law and dispute resolution.
Working languages: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish.
- Commercial and Consumer Law
Topic / Area of Expertise
- Comparative law, in particular consumer and competition law, dispute resolution, financial services regulation
- Human rights and sustainable development
- European private law (including contract and consumer law)
Her main research interests lie in the fields of comparative law and European private law, in particular consumer contracts, financial services law and dispute resolution. She is also interested in comparative human rights, sustainable development and competition law.
British Academy funded project on the comparison and intersection of consumer and environmental law.
- Comparative law and EU private law
- Commercial and consumer law
- Financial services regulation.
- I Benöhr, EU Consumer Law and Human Rights (Oxford University Press, Oxford Studies in European Law 2014)
- C. Hodges, I Benöhr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda, Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I Benöhr, Collective Actions in Consumer Law, Legal Issues of Economic Integration, Special issue, 2014.
- I Benöhr, 'Consumer Dispute Resolution after the Lisbon Treaty' (2013) Volume 36 Journal of Consumer Policy 87
- Henrique Pacini, Maria Montoya Diaz, Valéria Guimarães and I Benöhr, 'Environmental and competitive performances' (2013) 36 (3) September 2013. World Competition, Law and Economics Review
- C. Hodges, I Benöhr and N. Creutzfeldt-Banda, 'Consumer-to-Business Dispute Resolution' (2012) ERA Forum Journal of the Academy of European Law 199–225
- I Benöhr, 'Out-of-Court Settlement of Consumer Disputes in Financial Services' in C. Hodges and A. Stadler (eds), Resolving Mass Disputes (Edward Elgar 2013)
- I Benöhr, 'Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumers in the EU' in C. Hodges, I. Benohr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda (eds), Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I Benöhr, C. Hodges and N. Creutzfeld-Banda, 'Alternative Redress Mechanisms for Consumers in Germany,' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- C. Hodges, I Benöhr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda, 'Consumers ADR in France' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- C. Hodges, N. Creutzfeld-Banda and I Benöhr, 'Consumers ADR in the UK' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- C. Hodges, N. Creutzfeld-Banda and I Benöhr, 'Cross-border ADR' in Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I Benöhr and F. Weber, 'Dispute Resolution for Consumers in Spain,' in C. Hodges, I. Benohr and N. Creutzfeld-Banda (eds), Consumer ADR in Europe (Hart Publishing, Oxford (Civil Justice Systems) 2012)
- I Benöhr and H.-W. Micklitz, 'Consumer Protection and Human Rights' in G. Howells, I. Ramsay, T. Wilhelmsson (eds), Handbook of Research on International Consumer Law (Edward Elgar Publishing 2010)
Law and policy publications
- Redress in Retail Investment Markets: International Perspectives and Best Practices (co-authored publication), CFA Institute Papers, 2014
- I Benöhr, 'Alternative Dispute Resolution of Consumers in Financial Services: A Comparative Perspective' (2013) European Policy Analysis, SIEPS
- Christopher Hodges, I Benöhr and Naomi Creutzfeldt-Banda, 'Consumer-to-Business ADR Structures:' (2012) The Foundation for Law, Justice and Society
- Chris Hodges, Naomi Creutzfeldt-Banda and I Benöhr, 'The Hidden World of Consumer ADR: Redress and Behaviour' (The Foundation for Law, Justice and Society 2011)