Mr Patrick Cahill, Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales
qLegal Manager and Solicitor
Patrick Cahill is qLegal Manager and a Solicitor in England & Wales. He predominantly manages qLegal, in the Legal Advice Centre (LAC) at Queen Mary University of London, in which postgraduate students provide advice on intellectual property and commercial law through workshops, toolkits and one-to-one advice sessions, to tech start-ups and entrepreneurs in East London’s tech-hub.
Patrick also undertakes research for iLINC, the European Network of Law Incubators. His research focuses on how start-ups access legal advice across the US and Europe and the different models of advice delivery both in the UK across a number of other jurisdictions. Patrick previously practised at Kirkland & Ellis International LLP in London and New York and worked on clinic development at LawWorks, the UK’s leading legal pro bono organisation for solicitors, in-house counsel, mediators and students.
- Models of legal advice delivery to start-ups and entrepreneurs.
- The relationship between law and emerging technologies.
Examples of research funding:
- FP7-ICT and Higher Education Innovation Funding (HEIF5)- Research into models of legal advice delivery to start-ups and entrepreneurs.
- University Entrepreneurship Clinics in the UK and Europe’, forthcoming , IJCLE
- Walden I., Cummins J. and Cahill P. ‘Knowledge Transfer in Commercial Law, TJJI, Vol 7. No 1: pp 163-176
- Patrick works in developing Queen Mary’s qLegal initiative, which is part of the iLINC network, with funding from the European Commission as a FP7 project and from the Higher Education Innovation Fund, as well as the Legal Education Foundation.
- Patrick also supports early stage start-ups and entrepreneurs through numerous Queen Mary Careers Department initiatives.
- ‘Intellectual Property & University Commercialisation’ Software Sustainability Workshop, Oxford e-Research Centre, University of Oxford, 11 December 2014
- ‘Increase in university entrepreneurship clinics in Europe, and the iLINC Network’International Journal of Clinical Legal Education, Prague, 25 July 2014
- Law Society's International Marketplace Panellist ‘Think tech: innovative solutions to traditional problems’ UK, 8 July 2014
- ‘Approches to clinical legal education’ From Bleak House to Geek House, Brooklyn University, New York, 4 April 2014
- ‘qLegal and business clinics’ UK Clinical Legal Education Conference, University of Portsmouth 15-16 November 2013
- qLegal featured in an article by Lexoo on legal tech sector in the United Kingdom
21 October 2016
- qLegal's Patrick Cahill to present at 2015 Centre for Transnational Legal Studies Conference, King's College London
16 June 2015
- qLegal's Patrick Cahill to speak at 2015 International Journal of Clinical Legal Education Conference
22 April 2015
- QMUL leads Europe-wide network of free legal advice services for start-ups
21 April 2015
- qLegal awarded £90,000 to expand free legal advice programme for entrepreneurs
15 September 2014
- qLegal's Patrick Cahill on 'Universities, Entrepreneurship and Law'
29 August 2014
- qLegal's Patrick Cahill to speak at International Journal of Clinical Legal Education Conference
11 July 2014
- Patrick Cahill speaks at Law Society International Marketplace Conference
10 July 2014
- Lawyers lured to boom in Tech City - qLegal in The Times
26 June 2014