Dr Barnali Choudhury, BComm (McMaster), LLB (Queen's), LLM (Columbia), PhD (Zurich), Barrister and Solicitor, Law Society of Upper Canada
Senior Lecturer in Corporate Law
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7882 3943
Barnali Choudhury's main research interests centre on the intersection of economics and human rights. Her most recent work focuses on corporate social responsibility and human rights issues within international investment law. Before joining academia, she practised corporate law and international investment arbitration. Previously, she taught in New Zealand, the United States and Canada. She has also been a law clerk at the ICC Court of Arbitration in Paris, France; a visiting researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and Private Law in Hamburg, Germany and a research consultant at the World Trade Institute in Bern, Switzerland.
- LAW6036 Company Law
- Public Services and International Trade Liberalization: Human Rights and Gender Implications (Cambridge University Press, 2012), 376 pages
Articles and Book Chapters
- 'Women on Boards: Lessons for Germany', European Business Law Review (Forthcoming 2015)
- 'New Rationales for Women on Boards' (2014) 34:1 Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 1-32.
- 'From Harmony to Cacophony: Aligning Corporate and Community Interests' (2014) 2013:3 Brigham Young University Law Review 101-149.
- 'Incentivizing the Pursuit of the Common Good: Incorporating Environmental and Social Goal Targets into Executive Compensation' in P.E. Moyse, ed., From Economic Performance to Corporate Citizenship: The Changing Nature of Corporations and the Impact on CEO Remuneration, 65-78 (McGill University Press, 2013).
- 'International Investment Law as a Global Public Good' (2013)17:2 Lewis & Clark Law Review 481-520.
- 'Women, Poverty and International Economic Law' in Krista Schefer ed., Poverty and International Economic Law, 341-357 (Cambridge University Press, 2013).
- 'A Call for a WTO Ministerial Decision on Trade and Human Rights' in Thomas Cottier & Panagiotis Delimatsis, eds., The Prospects of International Trade Regulation: From Fragmentation to Coherence, 323-357 (Cambridge University Press, 2011) (Co-author).
- 'Exception Provisions as a Gateway to the Incorporation of Human Rights in International Investment Law' (2011) 49 Columbia Journal of Transnational Law 670-716.
- Book Review: Human Rights in International Investment Law and Arbitration, 24:2 Leiden Journal of International Law 522-526 (2011)
- 'Serving Two Masters: Incorporating Social Responsibility into the Corporate Paradigm' (2009) 11 University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law 631-674
- 'Democratic Implications Arising from the Intersection of Investment Arbitration and Human Rights' (2009) 46 Alberta Law Review 983-1008
- 'The Façade of Neutrality: Uncovering Gender Silences in International Trade' (2009) 15 William & Mary Journal of Women and the Law 113-159
- 'Recapturing Public Power: Is Investment Arbitration Contributing to the Democratic Deficit?' (2008) 41 Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 775-832
- 'Determining the Appropriate Level of Deference for Domestic Court Reviews of Investor-State Arbitral Awards' (2007) 32 Queen's Law Journal 602-640
- 'Beyond the Alien Tort Claims Act: Alternative Approaches to Attributing Liability to Corporations for Extraterritorial Abuses' (2005) 26 Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business 43-75
- 'Evolution or Devolution?--Defining Fair and Equitable Treatment in International Investment Law' (2005) 6 Journal of World Investment and Trade 297-320
- 'The Search for Shade: An Analysis of Super-Priority DIP financers in Re Sulphur Corporation of Canada Ltd.' (2002) 35 Canadian Bankruptcy Reporter (4th) 315-320
- 'The Jurisdiction Within: An Analysis of Re Playdium Entertainment Corp.' 14 Commercial Insolvency Reporter 52-56 (2002).
- Detailed submission to the House of Lords EU Select Committee on Women on Boards (July 2012)
- Submission to Ontario Securities Commission on the use of disclosure under securities law to promote women on boards (Sept. 2013)
- Social Disclosure, Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference; Nottingham, UK (Sept 2014)
- Social Disclosure, New Voices in Commercial Law; Paris, France (Sept 2014)
- Women on Boards: Lessons for Germany, International Corporate Governance and Law Conference; Muenster, Germany (Nov. 2013)
- From Harmony to Cacophony: Aligning Corporate and Community Interests; Faculty Colloquium, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN (April 2013)
- From Harmony to Cacophony: Aligning Corporate and Community Interests; Faculty Colloquium, Queen Mary University of London, London UK (February 2013)
- International Investment Law as a Global Public Good, American Society of International Law International Economic Law Interest Group Biennial Meeting; Washington D.C. (November 2012)
- International Investment Law as a Global Public Good, Lewis & Clark Law School's 17th Annual Business Law Fall Forum; Portland, OR (October 2012)
- International Investment Law as a Global Public Good, American Society of International Law Mid-year Meeting (Research Forum); Athens GA (October 2012)
- International Investment Law as a Global Public Good; Faculty Colloquium, University of Warwick, Coventry UK (October 2012).
- Exceptions Provisions: A Conduit for Human Rights Issues in International Investment Agreements, 'Exceptional States: International Economic Law in Times of Crisis and Change'; Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference, Leicester, UK (April 2012).
- Gender Diversity on Boards: Reorienting the Discussion from Board Structure to Board Process, 'Perspectives on Anglo/American Corporate Governance: Exploring Key Aspects of the Relationship' - Vanderbilt University and Queen Mary University Corporate Law Conference; London, UK (March 2012)
- Women, Poverty and International Economic Law, Poverty and the International Economic Law System Conference; Basel, Switzerland (October 2011)
- Incentivizing the Pursuit of the Common Good: Incorporating Environmental and Social Goal Targets into Executive Compensation, 'From Economic Performance to Corporate Citizenship: The Changing Nature of Corporations and the Impact on CEO Remuneration'; Montreal, Canada (April 2011)
- Exception Provisions as a Gateway to the Incorporation of Human Rights in International Investment Law, Society of International Economic Law Conference; Barcelona, Spain (July 2010)
- International Investment Treaties and their Impact on the Public Interest, Center for International Legal Education, University of Pittsburgh School of Law; Pittsburgh, PA (April 2009)
- More Politics Please – Reorienting the Depoliticized and Technocratic Nature of Investor-State Dispute Resolution, 'The Politics of International Economic Law', American Society of International Law – International Economic Law Group Conference; Washington D.C. (November 2008)
- Democratic Implications Arising from the Intersection of Investment Arbitration and Human Rights, American Society of International Law Four Societies Conference: 'International Law and Democratic Theory'; Edmonton, Canada (September 2008) (One of 4 selected to represent ASIL at the Conference)
- Serving Two Masters: Incorporating Social Responsibility into the Corporate Paradigm, Pace Law School Faculty Colloquium; White Plains, NY (September 2008)
- Gendered Implications of Liberalization of Essential Services, Swiss National Centre for the Competence in Research Conference; Bern, Switzerland (July 2008)
- Gendered Implications of International Trade Policies, 'New Voices in Human Rights', American Associations of Law Schools, Annual Conference; New York, NY (January 2008)