Mr Pablo Figueroa, Abogado (admitted to the Madrid and Brussels Bars). Senior associate at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP’ Brussels office.
Email: PFigueroa@gibsondunn.comTelephone: +32 2 554 70 00
Pablo Figueroa is a Senior Associate at the Brussels office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher. He is a member of the firm’s Antitrust and Competition, Litigation and Public Policy Practice Groups.
Mr. Figueroa has more than ten years of experience in European law and EU Competition law across a wide range of sectors, including finance, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications. Mr. Figueroa is one of the few practitioners in Brussels to have top experience in all domains of Antitrust / Competition law including:
- Litigation. Mr. Figueroa has a wide experience litigation before the EU and Spanish Courts, having successfully challenged before the Spanish Supreme Court, as contrary to European law, Spain’s electricity regulations in relation to the so-called “bono social”. Mr. Figueroa is currently working in four separate appeals before the Spanish Supreme Court and has litigated a multiplicity of proceedings, both administrative and civil (i.e., antitrust damage claims) before the Spanish lower courts, High Court (“Audiencia Nacional”) and Constitutional Court.
- Cartels. Mr. Figueroa has a wide experience in EU and Spanish cartel law, both contentious and non-contentious, having been a part of the team that secured immunity for UBS AG from a €2.5 billion fine European Commission in relation to the latter’s LIBOR investigation.
- Unilateral conduct, including, inter alia, being the Counsel of record in Case T-201/11 Si.mobil v. Commission.
- Merger control. Mr. Figueroa has a wide experience in EU, Spanish and multijurisdictional merger control, having been the lead associate at Case M.6106 CATERPILLAR / MWM, a EU phase II investigation involving unilateral, coordinated and vertical theories of harm. The transaction was authorized unconditionally. In addition, Mr. Figueroa has been involved in two other Phase II merger investigations before the European Commission, one of which included extensive discussions in relation to both behavioral and structural remedies.
- State Aid, advising the Basque Competition Authority in matters related to State Aid.
Mr. Figueroa also has significant experience in General European law, in particular successfully challenging national laws and regulations as contrary to European law.
Mr. Figueroa is a Visiting Lecturer at Queen Mary University (London, United Kingdom), a guest lecturer on Competition law at the Universidad de Deusto (Bilbao, Spain) and at the University of Oxford (United Kingdom). He is an editor of World Competition, Law and Economics Journal (Kluwer) and acts as a consultant for the European University Institute (Florence, Italy). His paper on “RPM Under EU Competition Law: Some Considerations from a Business and Economic Perspective” was awarded 'Best Business Economics Article - 2014' by the Antitrust Writing Awards 2014. Mr. Figueroa is ranked as a 'foreign expert in Spain' for Belgium: Competition/European Law by Chambers Global 2017, according to whom, Mr. Figueroa “frequently represents clients before the Spanish National Competition Authority”. Mr. Figueroa is also recommended for Belgium: EU regulatory - Telecoms by Legal 500 EMEA 2015.
Mr. Figueroa is a native Spanish and Galician speaker. He speaks English, French and Portuguese. He is admitted to practice before all Spanish Courts and Tribunals, the European Commission and the EU Courts. Prior to joining Gibson Dunn, Mr. Figueroa practised as an associate in the competition group of a Magic Circle firm.
Mr. Figueroa earnt his Master of Laws (LL.M.) in 2006 from Cornell University, and also his Belgium, Master of Laws in 2001 at the College of Europe. He attended Universidad de Deusto in Bilbao, Spain where he obtained his Law Degree in 2000.
- Collusion and competition law
- The Application of EU Competition law to Innovation-Intensive industries, EU Cartel law, EU Internal Market law.
- Forthcoming Publications include:
- EU Competition law and Pharmaceuticals, Elgar, 2017, coedited with Alejandro Guerrero.
- Lundbeck: On Known Unknowns, Quick Looks and Full Montys, Counterfactuals and other Quagmires in Relation to DG COMP’s Vietnam on Reverse Payment Settlements.
Examples of research funding:
State Aid and Sport, Madrid Bar Association, 21 February 2016.
- “EU Merger Control in the Pharmaceutical Sector”, co-authored with Alejandro Guerrero, in Knable Gotts, I. (ed.), The Merger Control Review, August 2016, available at: http://www.gibsondunn.com/publications/Documents/Figueroa-Guerrero-EU-Merger-Control-in-the-Pharmaceutical-Sector-The-Merger-Control-Review-The-Law-Reviews-Aug-2016.pdf.
- “Si.mobil v. European Commission - Undermining the Effectiveness of EU Competition Law?”, co-authored with Catherine Derenne, 1 October 2015, Eutopia Law, available at: http://www.gibsondunn.com/publications/Documents/Figueroa-Si-mobil-v-European-Commission-Eutopia-Law-10-1-15.pdf.
- “RPM Under EU Competition Law: Some Considerations from a Business and Economic Perspective”, 1 CPI Antitrust Chronichle 2013, available at: http://www.gibsondunn.com/publications/Documents/GalarzaRPMUnderEU.pdf. Awarded 'Best Business Economics Article - 2014' by the Antitrust Writing Awards 2014.
- “Invocability of Substitution and Invocability of Exclusion: Bringing Legal Realism to the Case-Law of “Horizontal” Direct Effect of Directives, NYU Jean Monnet Working Paper 7/02, available at: http://www.jeanmonnetprogram.org/archive/papers/02/020701.pdf.
For a complete list of my recent publications see: http://www.gibsondunn.com/lawyers/pfigueroa.
Mergers in the Media Industry: The Universal Music Group / EMI Case, Oxford Competition Law Centre, Pembroke College, 20 November 2015.