Dr Remy Gerbay, Attorney (New York), Solicitor (England and Wales)
Lecturer in Arbitration and International Commercial Law
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44(0)20 7882 8211Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
Dr Remy Gerbay is a Lecturer in International Arbitration at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). He is also co-director of the distance learning LL.M, PGDip and Certificate in international dispute resolution.
Alongside his academic post at QMUL, Remy is also Counsel at US-based disputes firm MoloLamken LLP, where he advises companies and individuals in respect of complex international arbitrations and related litigation. Remy is admitted to practice as an Attorney (state of New York) and as a Solicitor (England and Wales). Remy frequently sits as arbitrator, having been appointed in ad hoc, ICC, LCIA, Swiss Chambers, DIAC and KIAC arbitrations (as co-arbitrator, sole and presiding arbitrator).
Remy holds a PhD in international arbitration law from Queen Mary, an LLM from Georgetown Law (Fulbright Scholar), a Master's Degree from the Graduate Institute (University of Geneva), and a French law degree from the University of Lyon (High Honours).
In addition to Queen Mary, Remy has taught at various schools including SciencesPo (Paris) and Georgetown University.
Remy is the former Deputy Registrar of the LCIA. He is a former co-Chair of the LCIA’s Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG) (2013-2017). He is a member of the Editorial Boards of the Journal of International Arbitration and the ICC Bulletin, and a member of Georgetown University Law Center’s European Alumni Advisory Board.
In 2017 Remy was identified as a “Future Leader” of arbitration by Who’s Who Legal. He was also recommended by Legal 500 (UK) for international arbitration (2015).
- Book (as co-editor and co-author): The ICSID Convention, Rules and Regulations: A Practical Commentary(Elgar Publishing, expected 2018)
- Book (as sole author): The Functions of Arbitral Institutions (Kluwer Law International 2016)
- Book (as co-author): Arbitrating Under the 2014 LCIA Rules (Kluwer Law International 2015)
- Article (as sole author): “Is the End Nigh Again? An Empirical Assessment of the 'Judicialization' of International Arbitration,” 25 Am. Rev. Int'l Arb. 223 (2014)
- Article (as sole author): "Neither Savile Row Nor Quite Vivienne Westwood: The Verdict on the 2014 LCIA Arbitration Rules," 2014 (4) Paris J. of Int’l Arb. 675 (2014)
- Chapter (as sole author): “‘Literature Review? What Literature Review?!’ – The Influence of Legal Culture on Scholarship in International Arbitration,” in The Evolution and Future of International Arbitration, Stavros Brekoulakis, Julian Lew, Loukas Mistelis (eds.) (Kluwer 2016)
- Chapter (as sole author): "London Court of International Arbitration," in Arbitration in England, Julian D.M. Lew, H. Bor, G. Fullelove, Joanne Greenaway (eds.) (Kluwer 2013)
- Chapter (as sole author): "The LCIA," in World Arbitration Reporter, Larry Shore and Loukas Mistelis (eds.) (Juris 2013 & 2016)
- Empirical survey (as co-author): “International Arbitration Survey 2013: Corporate choices in International Arbitration,” Empirical survey sponsored by PricewaterhouseCoopers and Queen Mary, University of London (2013)
- Chapter (as co-author) “International Fraud and Asset Tracing – France,” with Denis Chemla, European Lawyer Reference Series (2011).
- Blog: “Due Process Paranoia (Part 2): Assessing the Enforcement Risk under the English Arbitration Act”, published on the Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 20 February 2017 (co-authored)
- Interview: “Arbitration —Looking Ahead to 2017”, Lexis Nexis PSL Arbitration (2016)
- Case note: “ICSID award no replacement for annulled OHADA award (Getma v Guinea)”, Lexis Nexis PSL Arbitration (2016)
- Interview: “LCIA Arbitration in the 21st Century - An Insider’s Perspective”, Lexis Nexis PSL Arbitration (2015)
- Blog: “The LCIA’s New Guidance Notes – An (uneasy) Exercise in Relative Normativity”, published on the Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 1 September 2015
- Blog: "Due Process Paranoia", published on the Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 6 June 2016
- Interview: “Commercial Arbitration Annual Review -UK”, Financier Magazine (2015)
- Interview: “Is arbitration (really) losing its edge?”, Lexis Nexis PSL Arbitration (2015)
- Interview: “How Does a New Arbitrator Get Their First Appointment?”, Lexis Nexis PSL Arbitration (2014)
- Conference paper: “DIFC-LCIA & LCIA India: Between Universalism and Regionalism”, Presentation at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law, London (2012).
- Legal Business’ Annual International Arbitration Summit, London 2016
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) Below-40 Annual Conference, Zurich 2016
- Joint UNCITRAL – Ljubljana Arbitration Centre Annual Conference, Slovenia 2016
- 27th Annual General Counsel Conference, New York City 2015
- 30th Anniversary Conference of the School of International Arbitration, Queen Mary University, London 2015
- LCIA YIAG - Vis Moot Symposium, Vienna 2015 and 2016
- Joint IBA and LCIA YIAG arbitration symposium, Washington DC 2015
- Prague Arbitration Roundtable (Keynote speaker), Prague 2015
- Belgian Arbitration Association (CEPANI) arbitration luncheon, Brussels 2014
- LCIA YIAG training seminar, Kampala 2014
- Joint IBA and LCIA YIAG arbitration symposium, Paris 2014
- Kigali International Arbitration Centre Annual Conferences, Kigali 2013 and 2014
- New Voices in Commercial Law, Paris 2013
- Young-ICCA conference on witness testimony in arbitration, Slovenia 2013
- ICC-YAF conference on impartiality of arbitrators, Dubai 2013
- ICC-YAF, conference on class action in international arbitration, Madrid 2012
- British Institute of Comparative and International Law, conference on regionalism in international arbitration, London 2012
- University of Warsaw, arbitration symposium, Warsaw 2011.
- Member of the School of International Arbitration