Dr Kara Tan Bhala, BSc (Cass School of Business); MPhil (Oxford); MA (New York); MA, PhD (Kansas)
Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
2010 - Present SEVEN PILLARS INSTITUTE FOR GLOBAL FINANCE AND ETHICS (SPI)
Kansas City, Missouri.
President and Founder
2015 - 2017 Queen Mary University of London, The Centre for Commercial Law Studies
Visiting Research Fellow
2003 - 2013 BOOK FARM
2007 - 2013 THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS
Lecturer in Finance
1992 - 2001 MERRILL LYNCH ASSET MANAGEMENT
Managing Director and Senior Portfolio Manager,
Merrill Lynch Dragon Fund,
Merrill Lynch Dragon Portfolio, and
Merrill Lynch Emerging Tigers Fund
1990 - 1992 FIDUCIARY TRUST INTERNATIONAL
New York, N.Y.
Vice President, Institutional Investments
Director, Fiduciary Trust (Far East), Hong Kong
1988 - 1990 JAMES CAPEL INCORPORATED
(part of Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation)
New York, N.Y.
Vice President, Institutional Sales
1986 - 1988 JAMES CAPEL (FAR EAST) LTD.
Senior Investment Analyst
- The Moral Foundations of Financial Ethics in Research Handbook on Ethics in Banking and Finance, eds., Costanza Russo, Rose Lastra and Bill Blair. Edward Elgar Publishing: Cheltenham, England, 2016.
- The Decline and Rise of Financial Ethics in Professionalism and Ethics in Business and Finance, ed., Raymond Madden. Asian Institute of Finance: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2016.
- International Investment Management: Theory, Ethics, and Practice. Co-authors, Warren Yeh and Raj Bhala, Routledge: London, England, 2016.
- Fortifying Virtue Ethics: Recognizing the Essential Roles of Eudaimonia and Phronesis. ProQuest: Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2009.
- The Asian Growth Paradigm as an Investment Tool, Handbook of Portfolio Management, ed. Frank Fabozzi, June 1998, pp. 303-319.
- Asia: Rich in Problems and Prospects, Asian Affairs: Journal of the Royal Society for Asian Affairs (London), vol. XXX, pt. III, October, 1999, pp. 259-268 (lead article).
- Twilight of the Despots, Harvard International Review, vol. XXI, no.2, Spring 1999, pp. 22-26.
- In Praise of Intervention, Far Eastern Economic Review, September 3, 1998, p. 29.
- Patterns of Asian Growth, Asian Affairs: Journal of the Royal Society for Asian Affairs (London), vol. 28, pt. I, February 1998, pp. 39-53.
- Investing in the Stages of East Asia’s Economic Growth, The Financier, vol. 4, no.3, August, 1997, pp. 6-17.
- Hong Kong Reborn: Why Asia’s Big Test Case Will Succeed, The Christian Science Monitor, January 9, 1996, pp. 18-19.
Uehiro Centre, Oxford University, UK
St. Cross Special Ethics Series>
Ethics in finance: A New Financial Theory for a Post-Financialized World (May, 2013)
KAIST School of Business, Seoul, Korea
Ethics in finance: Its desolate history and its fruitful future (August, 2012)
The Heidelberg Institute of Latin America, Santiago, Chile
Ethics in finance: Its desolate history and its fruitful future (June, 2012)
Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas>
International Officer Program.
International Financial Markets (2006 – 2013).
Bursa Malaysia (Stock Exchange of Malaysia, 6 February 2017>
Women in International Business
International Trade Council of Kansas City
8 March 2017
The Global Business Ethics Symposium at Bentley University, June 15th, 2017.
The Transparency Symposium at Mercer Consulting, September 28th, 2017.