Professor Junhai Liu
LIU Junhai is visiting professor at QMUL. He is professor of law and the Director for Business Law Center, Renmin University of China since 2006. He is the Vice President and Secretary General of China Consumers Protection Law Society. He is also an adviser for State Authority of Industry & Commerce, Ministry of Commerce, All China Federation of Trade Unions (ACFTU) and China Banking Association. He is a panelist at CIETAC, BAC, VIAC, HKIAC, ICDR/AAA) and WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center. His representative publications are Protection of Shareholders’ Rights (1995, 1997, 2004), Corporate Social Responsibility (1999), Modern Corporate Law (2008, 2011, 2015) and Modern Securities Law (2011). In addition to advising NPC on the reform of Corporate and Securities Law, he has advised the Supreme Court on numerous judicial interpretations and controversial cases on business law. He is the National Financial Law Expert and Team Leader of the TA project “Improving the Legal Framework for Securities and Futures Markets” (2014-2017) retained by ADB in collaboration with Legislative Affairs Committee of NPC. He was adjunct senior research fellow at China Securities Regulatory Commission (2013-2015). He was the Vice Chairman of China Consumers’ Association (2008-2015). He was professor at Institute of Law, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) from 1995 to 2006. He was a visiting scholar at Michigan, Wisconsin, Kansas, Amsterdam and Oslo. He was appointed the visiting professor by QMUL in October, 2016.
Case study of corporate law.
Business law, Corporate law, Securities law, Financial law, Investment funds law, Consumer law, Government procurement, International investment, Arbitration, Business ethics and corporate social responsibility.
- National Financial Law Expert and Team Leader of the TA project “Improving the Legal Framework for Securities and Futures Markets”(2014-2016) retained by ADB in collaboration with Legislative Affairs Committee of NPC
- The Corporate Reform of SOEs and the Protection of State-owned Assets, National Planning Office of Social Science and Philosophy, 2013,13AFX019. http://www.npopss-cn.gov.cn/n/2013/0617/c220439-21868510.html
- Research on the Standardization of Legal Risk Control in World-Class Enterprises, China Law Society, 2013, CLS(2013)A07
- Research Project on the Legal Issues of Regulation and Development of Direct Selling Industry, State Authority of Industry & Commerce (SAIC), 2014
- Research on the Class Shares in Joint Stock Corporations, China Law Society, 2011
- Research on the Draft of the Internet Advertisement Regulation, State Authority of Industry and Commerce, 2011
- Innovation of the Mechanism of State Intervention of the Market, Ministry of Justice, 2009
- The Research on the Modernization of Chinese Corporation Law aftermath the International Financial Crisis, Ministry of Education, 2009
- The Study on the Legal System of Private Equity Funds, Ministry of Education, 2009
- The Study on the Corporate Social Responsibility aftermath the Financial Crisis, Hong Yuan Securities Corporation, 2009.
- Taught Financial Regulation in China for Professor Michael Barr's course of International Finance (code is 678) at Michigan Law School on March 19, and 20, 2012
- “Corporate Governance and Deregulation of the Government”, Presented at the 22nd annual Asia Business Conference, organized by University of Michigan Business School, on February 11, 2012. http://rossabc.com/panels/china
- “Corporate Governance: Theory & Practice”, Presented at Fordham University Law School on February 7, 2012
- “Corporate Governance in SOEs from Global Perspective”, Presented at Columbia University Law School on February 6, 2012
- “Protection of Minority Shareholders in China”, Presented at Columbia University Law School on February 6, 2012. http://www.law.columbia.edu/center_program/chinese. Link to the audio recording from this presentation at: http://media.law.columbia.edu/CCLS/Liu_Junhai_Talk_120206.mp3
- “Protection of Minority Shareholders in the Events of M&A in China”, Presented to the Fifth East Asian Forum on Rule of Law: The International Symposium on the Legal Rules of Formation of Corporate Groups, Organized by Hitotsubashi University, Renmin University of China and Pusan National University of Korea, Tokyo, 2-5 December 2011
- “Suggestions on Strengthening the Food Safety Regulation”, Presented to the Forum of the Rule of Law in Food Safety”, organized by China Law Society, City University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Law Forum, Hong Kong, November 11-14, 2011
- "China's "Going Out" Strategy: What US Companies Need to Know About Chinese Corporate Governance & Corporate Law". Presented to the International Law Workshop, University of Michigan Law School, chaired by Professor Michael S Barr, October 10, 2011. http://www.law.umich.edu/workshopsandsymposia/intlworkshopseries/archive/Pages/f2011schedule.aspx; http://web.law.umich.edu/LawEvents/EventDetails.aspx?EventID=22755; http://ur.umich.edu/events/events.php?se=26655; For the flash webcast, please visit: http://web.law.umich.edu/flashmedia/public/Default.aspx?mediaid=1743
- “Director's Duty of Diligence and Shareholder's Derivative Action in China”, presented to the Symposium "Law and Legal Reality - A Chinese-German Dialogue on the Procedural Realisation of Private Claims", Freiburg, 25th and 26th of June 2010
- “Protection of Minority Shareholders”, presented to the Corporate Law Symposium, organized by attorney Peter Koh Soon Kwang and his STAMFORD LAW CORPORATION, Singapore, May 6, 2010.
- “Corporate Governance and Director’s Liability”, presented to the University of Michigan Business School students, chaired by Professor Cindy A. Schipani, Ann Arbor, January 25, 2010.
- Taught Chinese Business Law at University of Victoria Law School in New Zealand in August, 2007.
- “The Fiduciary Duty of the Controlling Shareholders in the Framework of Chinese New Corporate Law”, presented to the International Symposium on the New Issues of Modern Corporate Law in China, Japan and Korea, organized by Doshisha University, Kyoto, February 22-24, 2007.
- “Corporate Governance in Listed Corporations and Corporate Law Reform in China”, presented to Asian Bankers’ Summit, Singapore, March 14 to 17, 2005.
- “Controversial Issues in Chinese Bankruptcy Law”, presented to the Symposium of Bankruptcy Law in China and Finland, Helsinki, November 2-9,2004.
- “Case Study on the Fiduciary Duty of the Directors in Chinese Corporations”, presented to the International Symposium on Anti-Corruption, organized by UNDP, Hanoi, September 9-23, 2004.
- “The Increasing Role of the Courts in China in Solving Private Disputes after the Development and Accession to WTO”, presented to the International Symposium on the Social Development and Legal Reform in Asia, Tokyo, October, 2002.
- “Corporate Governance in China”, presented to the International Symposium on the Corporate Governance in Asia, Kuala Lumpur, April 2002.
- “ADR Mechanism in China”, presented to the International Symposium on the ADR in Southeast Asia, Bangkok, November 2001.
- “Regulation of Corporate Groups in China”，a chapter in “German and Asian Perspectives on Company Law: Law and Policy Perspectives”, Edited by Holger Fleischer, Hideki Kanda, Kon Sik Kim and Peter Mülbert, Mohr Siebeck, 2016.
- “Doing Business in a Connected Society: the GSK Bribery Scandal in China”, Illinois Law Review, Vol.1, 2016, with Cindy A. Schipani, Haiyan Xu.https://illinoislawreview.org/print/volume-2016-issue-1/doing-business-in-a-connected-society-the-gsk-bribery-scandal-in-china/
- "Experience of Internationalization of Chinese Corporate Law and Corporate Governance: How to Make the Hybrid of Civil Law and Common Law Work，European Business Law Review, Vol. 26, 2015 <Issue 1>, pp. 107-128; 26 Eur. Bus. L. Rev. 107>；
- “Director’s Duty of Diligence and Shareholder’s Derivative Action in China”, MUNU Publishing Company, 2015.
- The Future of Securities Class Actions Against Foreign Companies: China And Comity Concerns, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, VOL.46, 2013, P.1315- 1360 (with Dana M.Muir and Haiyan Xu). https://prospectusmjlr.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/muir.pdf
- “Corporate Governance of Business Organizations in the People's Republic of China: The Legal Framework After the Revision of the Company Law in 2005”, presented at the XVIIIth International Congress of the International Academy of Comparative Law 2010, co-authored with Dr. Knut Benjamin Pissler. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1695888. This paper is also included in the book Comparative Corporate Governance, edited by Dr. Andreas Fleckner and Prof. Claus Hopt, Cambridge University Press ( 2013).
- “Director's Duty of Diligence and Shareholder's Derivative Action in China” presented at the Symposium "Law and Legal Reality - A Chinese-German Dialogue on the Procedural Realisation of Private Claims", Freiburg，25-26 June 2010. Published as a part of the book “Recht und rechtswirklichkeit in Deutschland und China”, edited by Yuanshi Bu, published by Mohr Siebeck, 2011. P.61-P.87.
- “Corporate Governance in China: Then and Now”, Co-authored with Professor Cindy A. Schipani at the University of Michigan, Columbia Business Law Review, Volume 2002, Number By December 2015, there are 2,454 downloads and 21 citations on the SSRN (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=3285444).
- “Chinese Business and the Internet: The Infrastructure for Trust”, Co-authored with Professor Timothy L. Fort at the University of Michigan, Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, November, 2002, 35 Vand. J. Transnat'l L. 1545 http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1993358##
- “Legal Reforms in China”, ZEF-Discussion Papers on Development Policy No. 13, Center for Development Research (ZEF), Bonn, September 1999. See: It was also published as a chapter of Governance, Decentralization and Reform in China, India and Russia, Jean-Jacques Dethier (ed.) Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 373 – 405. It was presented at the international seminar of “the Governance on China, India and Russia”, 3-4 May 1999, hosted by the Research Center for Development, Bonn University.
- The Perspectives for Tax Law in Hong Kong after 1 July 1997, presented at the International Symposium “Tax Law in East and South-east Asia toward the 21st Century”, held in Leiden, the Netherlands in July 1996 and published by Kluwer Law International in 1997.