Dr Phoebe Okowa, LLB (Nairobi) BCL (Oxon), DPhil (Oxon), Advocate (High Court of Kenya)
Reader in Public International Law
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 3961
Phoebe Okowa was born and educated in Kenya. She graduated at the top of her class with a Bachelor of Laws degree (First class) from the University of Nairobi and qualified as an advocate of the High Court. Between 1988-1993 she was a graduate student at the University of Oxford where she obtained a Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL) and a Doctorate in Public International Law (D.Phil.) She previously taught at the University of Bristol and has held visiting appointments at the Universities of Stockholm, Helsinki and Lille. In 2011, Dr Okowa was a Hauser Global Visiting Professor at New York University, School of Law. Okowa is the joint editor of Foundations of Public International Law (Oxford University Press- with Professor Malcolm Evans) and the Queen Mary Studies in International Law (Brill with Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice).
Phoebe Okowa’s teaching interests are in the area of public international law broadly construed. She has published extensively on a wide range of topics especially on the law of state responsibility, use of force, and the protection of natural resources in conflict zones, as well as the relationship between state and individual responsibility for international crimes. In 2006, she completed a major study, funded by the UK’s Arts and Humanities Research Council on International Law Questions Arising from the disintegration of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Dr Okowa has served as a member of the IUCN Committee on Environmental Law and the ILA Committee on Transnational Enforcement of Environmental Law. In addition, she has provided advice on questions of public international law to a broad range of public sector organisations.
- LAW6032 Public International Law
Dr. Okowa’s research interests are primarily in the field of Public International Law, especially International Environmental Law, Use of Force, and State Responsibility.
- Phoebe N. Okowa, State Responsibility for Transboundary Air Pollution in International Law, (Oxford University Press, Oxford 2000, ISBN 0-19-826097-0,) ix- 285.
See reviews in:
European Journal of International Law 2002, pp. 545-559 , 50 International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 472-473; 14(2) 2002 Journal of Environmental Law ; 60(3) Cambridge law Journal 629-630; Leiden Journal of International Law, Vol. 14, Issue no. 02, March 2004; Modern Law Review, (2002) Vol. 65 Number 4 632-634
- Phoebe Okowa and Jonas Ebbesson, (editors) Environmental Law and Justice in Context (Cambridge University Press, 2009 ISBN 978-0-521-87968-2) Reviewed in 2009 British Yearbook of International Law
Key Articles and Essays
- Phoebe Okowa, Sovereignty Contests and the Exploitation of Natural Resources in Conflict Zones, forthcoming in Current Legal Problems (January 2013)
- Phoebe Okowa and Malcolm Evans, ‘Approaches to Responsibility in International Courts’ in The International Responsibility of the European Union, (forthcoming March 2013)
- Phoebe Okowa, State and Individual criminal Responsibility in Internal Conflicts: Contours of an Evolving Relationship, 20 (2009) Finnish Yearbook of International Law p. 143-188
- The International Court of Justice and the Georgia Russia Dispute, 2011 Human Rights Law Review, Volume 11, Issue 4, pp. 739-757
- Case Concerning Ahmadou Sadio Diallo (Republic of Guinea V. Democratic Republic of Congo), 2008 International and Comparative Law Quarterly, Vol. 57, No. 1. pp. 219
- Phoebe Okowa, Natural Resources in Situations of Armed Conflict: Is there a Coherent Framework for Protection? 9 (2007) International Community Law Review, January 237
- Phoebe Okowa, Congo’s War: The Legal Dimension of a Protracted Conflict, 2006, British Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 77 , 203
- Phoebe Okowa, Case Concerning Armed Activities on the Territory of the Congo, International and Comparative Law Quarterly 2006, Vol. 55, pp. 742
- Phoebe N. Okowa, ‘Case Concerning the Gabcikovo-Nagymaros Project (Hungary / Slovakia)”, International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 1998, Vol. 47, 688
- Phoebe N. Okowa, Procedural Obligations in International Environmental Agreements” 1996, British Yearbook of International Law, Vol. 67, p. 275
- Phoebe Okowa, ‘Legal Consequences of EC Participation in International Environmental Agreements’ in M. D. Evans (ed.) Aspects of Statehood and Institutionalism in Contemporary Europe (Dartmouth Press, Aldershot, 1997), pp. 301
- Phoebe N. Okowa, ‘The EC and International Environmental Agreements,’ Yearbook of European Law, 1995, Vol. 15, pp. 169
- Ojwang’, J.B and Phoebe N. Okowa, ‘The One Party State and Due Process of Law: The Kenyan Position in a Comparative Framework’, African Journal of International and Comparative Law, 1989, Vol. 1, pp. 177-205
- Phoebe Okowa, ‘Responsibility for Environmental Damage in M. Fitzmaurice et al (eds) Research Handbook on International Environmental Law, (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham 2010) p. 303
- Phoebe Okowa, ‘Interpreting Constitutive Instruments of International Criminal Tribunals : Reflections on the Special Court for Sierra Leone’, in M. Fitzmaurice et al (eds.) Treaty Interpretation and the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties: 30 Years On (Martinus Nijhoff Publishers 2010) p. 333
- Phoebe Okowa, “Issues of Admissibility and the Law on International Responsibility” in M.D. Evans, (ed) International Law (Oxford University Press, Oxford , 3rd edition Oxford 2010)
- Phoebe Okowa, ‘The Legal Framework for the Protection of the Environment Against Transboundary Air Pollution: A Reflection on Customary and Treaty Law’ in H. Post (ed) The Protection of Ambient Air in International and European Law (Utrecht 2009) p. 53
- Phoebe Okowa, “Environmental Justice in Situations of Armed Conflict” in Phoebe Okowa and Jonas Ebbesson (eds) Environmental Law and Justice in Context (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2009) p. 231
- Phoebe Okowa, The Plundering of Natural Resources and the Destruction of the Environment in Times of Armed Conflict in 2007, Hague Joint Conference on Contemporary Issues of International Law, p. 243
- Phoebe Okowa, ‘The Legacy of Trail Smelter in the Field of Transboundary Air Pollution’ in Rebecca M. Bratspies and Russell A. Miller (eds.), Transboundary Harm in International Law (Cambridge University Press Cambridge 2006) pp. 195
- Phoebe Okowa, ‘United States Unilateralism in a Multilateral Legal Order”’ in M. Buckley and R. Singh (eds.) , (2006) The Bush Doctrine and the War on Terrorism: Global Responses, Global Consequences (Routledge, London 2006) 200
- Phoebe N. Okowa, ‘Defences in the Jurisprudence of International Tribunals’ in G.Goodwin-Gill and S.Talmon (eds.), The Reality of International Law: Essays in Honour of Ian Brownlie (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1999), pp. 389
- Phoebe N. Okowa, ‘The settlement of International Environmental Disputes: A Re-appraisal’ in M. D. Evans, Remedies in International Law: The Institutional Dilemma ( Hart Publishing, Oxford, 1998), pp. 157
Dr Okowa welcomes proposals for postgraduate supervision on most aspects of public international law especially, armed conflict, state responsibility and international environmental law.