Professor David Ormerod, Barrister (Bencher of Middle Temple)
Professor of Criminal Justice
David Ormerod was appointed Law Commissioner for Criminal Law and Evidence on the 1 September 2010 and is on secondment from Queen Mary until 2015.
He is Professor of Criminal Justice at Queen Mary, University of London. He is the author of numerous journal articles and book chapters, and several hundred case commentaries.
- David Ormerod is a practising member of 18 Red Lion Court where he is instructed for the defence and for the Serious Fraud Office and the Revenue and Customs Prosecution Office in serious fraud cases. 2009 - Elected Master of the Bench, Middle Temple.
- Editor of the Criminal Law Review.
- Member of the Education Committee of the Criminal Bar Association.
- Member of the Criminal Justice Council.
- Member of the Advocacy Training Council
Recent publications include:
- Blackstone’s Criminal Practice 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 (General Editor with the Rt Hon Lord Justice Hooper)
- Smith and Hogan on Criminal Law (13th edn 2011)
- Halsbury’s Laws of England (Editor for Volumes on Criminal Evidence and Procedure) (2010)
- Smith and Hogan Cases and Materials on Criminal Law (10th edn 2009)
- Fraud: Criminal law and Procedure (2008, OUP) with Clare Montgomery QC
- Smith’s Law of Theft (9th edn 2007) with David Williams QC
- Social networking material as criminal evidence  Crim. L.R. 486-512 (with M O’Floinn)
- Social networking sites, RIPA and criminal investigations  Crim. L.R. 766-789 (with M O’Floinn)
- "Coroners and Justice Act 2009: the "witness anonymity" and "investigation anonymity" provisions"  Crim LR 368-388 with A Choo and R Easter
- Prosecution appeals - too much of a good thing?  Crim. L.R. 169-194 with A Waterman QC and R Fortson QC
- "The Serious Crime Act 2007, Part 2"  Crim LR 389 with R Fortson
- "Acts and Omissions – a Distinction Without a Defence?"  Cambrian Law Review with Tracey Elliott
- "The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007"  Crim LR with R D Taylor
- "Criminalising Lying"  Crim LR 19
- 'Making Sense of Mens Rea in Statutory Conspiracies' (2006) CLP
Professor David Ormerod appointed Law Commissioner - 1 April 2010
Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice announced the appointment of Professor David Ormerod as a Law Commissioner for a period of five years.
"I am extremely pleased to announce the appointment of Professor Ormerod as Law Commissioner. I am certain that with Professor Ormerod’s considerable expertise he will be of enormous benefit to the Law Commission and will be an outstanding Commissioner.”
- David Ormerod lectures regularly for the Judicial College on Criminal Law, Serious Sexual Offences and the Law of Evidence.
- He assisted the JSB in drafting the Judicial Studies Board Crown Court Bench Book.
- He has lectured by invitation in the USA, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Sweden.
Double success as law professors appointed as honorary QCs
28 February 2013