Mr Gwilym Roberts, European Patent Attorney, Chartered UK Patent Attorney, UK Patent Attorney Litigator, IP Litigator – Patent, Higher Courts Patent Litigator, Physics degree - University of Oxford 1990
Gwilym is an Honoury Visiting Professor at and Queen Mary, lecturing in patent drafting and patent portfolio reviewing analysis for the Certificate and MSc courses.
In his role as an patent Attorney, Gwilym works at Kilburn & Strode LLP in London where he is the Chairman and a Partner at the firm. In this role, day-to-day, Gwilym advises clients on all aspects of the patent process including IP audit and capture, IP filing strategies and patent portfolio management techniques. He acts for a range of clients including individuals, SMEs, Universities, and spin outs through to multi-nationals and handles a broad and diverse range of cases before the UK Patent Office, European Patent Office and World Intellectual Property Office.
In the intellectual property industry, Gwilym is arguably the highest profile Patent Attorney in Europe. He is constantly asked for press commentry on topical patent issues, which he provides with candour.
Gwilym also heads up the firm band at Kilburn & Strode, the ‘Black IPs’. You will find him performing with the band around Holborn.
Gwilym is lecturing in patent drafting and patent portfolio reviewing analysis for the Certificate and MSc courses.
Gwilym is currently co-writing a book on the EPC and UPC.
- A Practical Guide to Drafting Patents (Sweet & Maxwell)
- CIPA Patent Training Manual (Editor and contributor)
- Publications in the European Intellectual Property Review, Managing Intellectual Property, Landslide (Journal of the ABA), CIPA Journal, IPKat blog, Patently-O blog.
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) - Council Member, CIPA Patents Committee Member – co-chair Asia group
- Member of The Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPI)
- President of the British Group of the Union of European Patent Practitioners
- Member of the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member of the British Association of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI-UK)
- Honorary Visiting Professor - Queen Mary University of London
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Intellectual Property Rights (JIPR).