Dr Costanza Russo
Leverhulme Lecturer in Banking Law
Location: Lincoln's Inn Fields
Phone: +44 (0)20 7882 8102
Dr Costanza Russo is Leverhulme Lecturer in Banking Law at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary, University of London. She graduated in Law with distinction from the University of Bologna and holds a PhD in “Economics, Markets, Institutions” from the School for Advanced Studies in Lucca, Italy. She also qualified as a Barrister in Italy.
In 2008 she was a research intern at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law, London, working on EU State aid and UK banking Law and supervisory structure. She has also collaborated with the Zurich University.
Prior to joining CCLS, Costanza Russo has been Lecturer of Company Law and Lecturer of Financial Markets Law at the University of Trento, Italy; Lecturer of Financial Markets Law at the University of Bologna and Lecturer at the LLM in “Law and Economics of Financial Markets”, in Milan.
- Russo C., The New Course of EU State Aid Rules During the 2007-2009 Financial Crisis, in Research Handbook of International Financial Regulation, eds by Alexander K., Elgar Pub. 2012
- Russo C., Bank Nationalizations of the 1930s in Italy: the IRI formula, in Theoretical Inquiries in Law, vol 13 Issue 2, 2012
- Russo C., The UK and proposed EU bank resolution and recovery regimes: clash of the Titans?, in Corporate rescue and insolvency, 2012
- Russo C. Dalla crisi del debito privato a quella del debito pubblico, in Italianieuropei, 8/2012 [From banking to sovereign debt crisis]
- Russo C. Commento sub artt. 94 - 95bis, in Commentario al testo unico della Finanza a cura di F. Vella, Giappichelli, Torino, 2012 [Commentary on art. 94-95bis -implementing the Prospectus Directive]
- Russo C., Cosa sono e a cosa servono le living wills: luci e ombre della futura regolamentazione, in Banca Impresa Societa’, 3/2011 [What are Living wills really for? Lights and shadow of future regulations]
- Russo C., Bail out plans: do they really envision State exit and bank repayments? A view from a competitive assessment perspective, in European Business Law Review, Issue 4, 2010
- Russo C., The Legal Foundation of Free Markets, book review by Stephen Copp, in International and Comparative Law Quarterly, Issue 4, 2009
- Russo C., The Uk Banking Act 2009 – new law, old problems, in Bulletin of International Legal Development, Issue 04, 2009
- Russo C., The Alitalia Saga, in Bulletin of International Legal Developments, Issue 11, 2008
- Russo C., Northern Rock: The Right Decision at the Right Time, in Bulletin of International Legal Developments, Issue 07, 2008
- Russo C., Le riforme della regolamentazione dei rischi bancari: un'analisi comparata del sistema statunitense e di quello europeo, in Analisi Giuridica dell'Economia, 2/2010, 561-585; [The regulation of banking risks: a comparative analysis of American and European reforms]
- Guccione A.V., Russo C., L’arbitro Bancario e Finanziario, in Le nuove Leggi Civile Commentate, 3/2010, 475-521; [The Banking Ombudsmann]
- Russo C., Commissione europea, aiuti di stato alle banche e diritto societario: una difficile convivenza, in Banca, Impresa, Società, 3/2009, 381-420; [EU Commission, state aid and company law: a difficult co-existence]
- Russo C., La crisi della Northern Rock: un recente esempio di regulatory failure, in Banca, Impresa, Società, 2/2009, 241-267; [The Northern Rock crisis: a recent example of regulatory failure]
- Russo C., Paese per paese come si salvano le banche, in Il Mondo sull’orlo di una crisi di nervi: Origini, Sviluppo, Responsabilità del Terremoto, book edited by Pellizzon L., Castelvecchi, Roma, 2009, 125-137; [How to save banks: a cross country comparison, at The world on the verge of a nervous breakdown: origins, development, responsibility of the financial earthquake]
- Russo C., Cosi l’Italia aiuta le banche, in Il Mondo sull’orlo di una crisi di nervi: Origini, Sviluppo, Responsabilità del Terremoto, book edited Pellizzon L., Castelvecchi, Roma, 2009, 138-143; [How Italy bails banks out, ibidem]
- Russo C., Il caso Parmalat tra tutela risarcitoria e conflitto di interessi del lead manager, in Giurisprudenza Commerciale, 6/07, 1248-1265; [The Parmalat case between investors’ protection and lead manager’s conflict of interests]
- Russo C., Salvataggio banche: Europa divisa, ogni paese va per la sua strada, in “La Repubblica-Affari e Finanza” (italian newspaper), 17.11.08; [Banks’ bail out: EU divided, each Country takes its own way]
Her major research interests include regulation of bank resolution and insolvency, EU state aid in the financial sector, international banking, banking risks and CSR.
Professional activities and outreach:
Dr Costanza Russo, Leverhulme Lecturer in Banking Law at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary, University of London video interview by FacultiMedia on 'The New Course of EU State Aid Rules During the 2007-2009 Financial Crisis'.
- Dr Costanza Russo to chair the CCLS Rapid Response Briefing in Paris: Regulatory Developments in the Financial Sector on 9 July 2013
- Dr Russo to speak at the Faculty of Law, Tel Aviv University, Israel
European Banking Union Conference on 22 October
15 October 2012