Dr Niovi Vavoula, (BA, University of Athens); LLM-PhD (QMUL)
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant
Room Number: Mile End
Dr Niovi Vavoula is Post-doctoral Research Assistant at Queen Mary, University of London (QMUL). She is also part-time Teacher at the London School of Economics and Political Science, Editorial Assistant to the peer-reviewed journal New Journal of European Criminal Law (NJECL) and Coordination Assistant to the European Criminal Law Academic Network (ECLAN). She regularly collaborates with the ODYSSEUS Academic Network for Legal Studies on Immigration and Asylum in Europe. She has given guest lectures at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2016), City University London (2014) and was a visiting researcher at ULB - Université libre de Bruxelles (2014). Before commencing her doctoral studies in 2012, she qualified as lawyer (Athens Bar Association, 2011), served as a volunteer at the Legal Department of the Greek Council for Refugees (2011-12) and did an internship for the Greek Desk at Eurojust (2012). She publishes in the areas of EU immigration and criminal law and has acted as an expert consultant for the Commission, the Parliament and the Fundamental Rights Agency. Her doctoral thesis examined the privacy challenges stemming from the establishment of pan-European immigration databases and will be published by Brill Nijhoff in early 2018.
Dr Vavoula is generally interested in:
- European refugee law and migration studies
- The interplay between immigration and criminal law and crimmigration studies
- Information exchange mechanisms, surveillance mechanisms, digitalisation of border controls, privacy and data protection law
- Legal responses to trafficking in human beings and money laundering
- EU Criminal law, mutual recognition and mutual trust, defence rights, EU citizenship and criminal law.