Dr Cristina Volpin, PhD, Qualified Lawyer
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Competition Law
Dr Cristina Volpin graduated in Law from the University of Padua in 2006, Italy, and holds a PhD in EU Competition Law from the same University. She spent the last year of her PhD as a Visiting Research student at University College London, working on her thesis dealing with evidential issues in EU competition enforcement. She has more than 5 years of experience as a lawyer, including in two top-tier Italian law firms (Gianni Origoni Grippo Cappelli and Partners, and Chiomenti). She advised on a number of international and European projects, including the ‘Study on the Passing-on of Overcharges’ awarded by the European Commission (COMP/2015/011) and a support study on the impact assessment of the review of the European Merger Regulation regarding minority shareholdings (COMP/2015/007). In her quality as the competition law expert, she prepared and presented a policy paper on Commercial and Company Law and Sustainable Development for the Senior Officials of Law Ministries of the Commonwealth. Since March 2016, she is a postdoctoral fellow in competition law at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies of Queen Mary University of London, where she teaches and conducts research in competition law in collaboration with the Chair in Law and Economics. She is a Fellow at the Centre for Law, Economics and Society, University College London. She has spoken at various international conference, including at the World Trade Organisation in Geneva, the University of Luxembourg and IE University in Madrid. She is an Associate Editor for the forthcoming book ‘Competition Law and Intellectual Property in China’ by Oxford University Press (2018). She has published in top ranked competition and EU journals and she is working on forthcoming publications on competition enforcement, on the interaction between IP and competition law and on innovation and competition law.
Evidential issues in competition law, EU Competition law, Competition enforcement, IP and competition law and Competition policy.
- “The Rules of Evidence of EU Competition Law”, forthcoming (2018).
- “Competition Law and Intellectual Property in China”, Oxford University Press, forthcoming (2017) as associate editor.
Articles / Book Chapters
- "Innovation, Competition and IP”, in G. Muscolo, M. Tavassi, “The Interplay between Competition Law and Intellectual Property – An International Perspective”, Kluwer Law International, forthcoming (2018)
- “Applying for Leniency Is a Leap in the Dark: Protecting the Effectiveness of Leniency Programmes”, Common Market Law Review, forthcoming (2017). “DHL Express (Italy) Commission: Getting It Right Beats Being First” (2016) European Papers, vol. 1, 2016, no. 2, pp. 765-768 (ISSN 2499-8249).
- “The Ball is in Your Court: Evidential Burden of Proof and the Proof-Proximity Principle in EU Antitrust Law” (2014) 51 Common Market Law Review, Issue 4, pp. 1159-1185 (ISSN 0165-0750).