Dr Ulrich Wuermeling, LLB,LLM and Doctorate: Trade Barrier Privacy, University of Würzburg,
Dr Ulrich Wuermeling is a counsel in the London and Frankfurt offices. His main area of expertise is European privacy law and his clients predominantly operate in the finance, technology, marketing and media sectors. He is advising clients on data protection compliance requirements and transactional matters as well as representing them in data protection disputes with regulatory authorities and in court proceedings. International and German legal directories consistently recognize Dr Ulrich Wuermeling for his Data Protection expertise. The data protection practice is listed in the Rank 1 by The Legal 500 Germany 2017. Dr Ulrich Wuermeling is also recognized as leading lawyer in Rank 1 for Data Protection in Chambers Europe Germany 2016, quoting one client: “He is very knowledgeable and focuses on future developments, anticipating issues. It is a pleasure to work with him”.
Dr Ulrich Wuermeling teaches privacy law as a Visiting Professor at Queen Mary University London. He chairs Euroforum’s annual German and European Data Protection Conference in Berlin and regularly speaks and publishes on data protection matters. He also acts as co-editor of the Latham & Watkins’ Global Privacy & Security Compliance Law Blog, which discusses a wide range of legal developments and controversies involving data protection, privacy issues and practices, trans-border data transfers, data and system security terms as well as breaches across numerous industry sectors.
Selected English Language Publications
- Modernization of European data protection law at a turning point, Computer Law & Security Review, Issue 28, 2012, pp. 587‐588.
- Germany introduces new HR privacy regulations, Privacy Laws & Business International Newsletter, April 2010, p. 22.
- Germany: Instant dismissal for private use of the Internet at work, Privacy Laws & Business International Newsletter, December 2005, p. 6.
- New German Digital Signature Act to Come into Force, Computer Law and Security Report (CLSR 2001), p. 284.
- New Data Protection Laws Adopted in Germany. Jointly with Daniel Widstrand, Privacy Laws and Business International Newsletter, May 2001, p. 3‐4.
- E‐Commerce – Germany: Implementation of the E‐Commerce‐Directive in Germany. Jointly with Thies Deike, Computer Law & Security Report, Issue 3, 2001, pp. 168‐169.
- E‐Commerce – Germany: Implementation of the E‐Commerce‐Directive in Germany.
- EU's Privacy Directive Endangers World Commerce, IP Worldwide Intellectual Property, Issue 1, 1999, pp. 3 ‐ 6.
- Multimedia Law ‐ Germany, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 1, 1998, pp. 41 ‐ 44.
- Harmonisation of European Union Privacy Law, The John Marshall Journal of Computer & Information Law 1996, Volume 14, No. 3, pp. 411‐460.
- Software Protection in Germany ‐ Recent Court Decisions in Copyright Law. Jointly with Andreas Günther, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 1, 1995, pp. 15 ‐ 17.
- The German Implementation of the EC Directive on Software Protection. Jointly with Andreas Günther, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 4, 1993, pp. 176 ‐ 179.
- Germany: International Computer Crime Conference, International Enforcement Law Reporter, Issue 10, 1992, pp. 493 ‐ 495.
- German and English Law Against Computer Crime ‐ A Comparative Survey, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 3, 1990, pp. 15 ‐ 16.
- New Dimensions of Computer‐Crime, Computer Law and Security Report, Issue 4, 1989,pp. 20 ‐ 21.
German Language Publications
- Over 50 academic and over 100 other publications on privacy, IT, Internet and telecommunications
- 1990 ‐ 2007, Co‐Editor of the German Data Protection Advisor (Datenschutz‐Berater).
- Over 150 conference and seminar presentations as well over 50 newspaper, radio and television interviews on privacy, IT, Internet and telecommunications law.
- Since 1998, moderator of one of the leading data protection conferences in Germany (Euroforum Datenschutzkongress).
- November 2013, speaker at the Academy of European Law, Trier, on the European Data Protection Reform and Cloud Computing.
- October 2012, expert advisor for the German Parliament in a public hearing on the European Data Protection Reform.
- October 2012, speaker at a conference of the Alexander von Humboldt University in Berlin and the German Ministry of Interior on the European Data Protection Reform.