We recognise that the majority of our students study law because they are looking to enter the profession after graduation. As such, Queen Mary invests a lot of resources into specialised careers events, such as law fairs, workshops and the opportunity to network and apply for placements through the student societies, Legal Advice Centre, and Queen Mary’s Careers and Enterprise team. A Queen Mary law degree is well regarded by City firms, and will give you a solid foundation for a career in the legal sector.
Soon after you enrol at Queen Mary, you will meet the dedicated law adviser from the Careers Team, who is regularly available throughout your studies for one-to-one advice and support sessions.
Of course, not all of our students want to be lawyers and there are plenty of chances to explore other career options too. You can find out more about the careers services.
What happens after my degree?
Although the qualifying law degree (QLD) is the first step in becoming a lawyer, you will be required to participate in further training after you graduate.
Reed Smith has been pleased to work closely with Queen Mary for a number of years, in a variety of ways, and we have recruited their law students into both our summer vacation and training contract programmes. The university attracts and produces a diverse range of high-quality and motivated students who we have found to meet the skills and qualities we are looking for in our recruits.
Lucy Crittenden, Graduate Recruitment Manager, Reed Smith
Careers workshop highlights for 2015/16 include:
- Understanding Training Contracts; a panel discussion with representatives from DLA Piper, DWF and Reynolds Porter Chamberlain
- How to make the most of Legal Work Experience and Vacation Schemes: Panel Discussion with Linklaters and Ashurst
- Writing Applications for Law Firms Workshop with Berwin Leighton Paisner
- Commercial Awareness Panel Discussion with Herbert Smith Freehills
- Bar Panel and Networking Evening – various chambers represented
- Reed Smith Work Skills Programme
- Legal Interview Skills Workshop with Clifford Chance
Every autumn, students from the School of Law have the chance to meet staff from leading law firms and law colleges at the Queen Mary Law Fair. Details of the 2016 Law Fair, which will be held on 24-25 October 2016, can be found on the Careers website.