22 February 2013Time: 10:00am - 4:30pm
Venue: Upper Library, The Signet Library, Parliament Square, Edinburgh EH1 1RF
One day UK Association for European Law conference in Edinburgh, Scotland jointly organised with the Criminal Justice Centre, Queen Mary, University of London.
10.00 - 16.30 followed by a drinks reception
For more information and for the latest programme information please visit the UKAEL EU Criminal law web page.
How to Book
Fee: £100 for current UKAEL members, £150 for general public CPD accredited by the Faculty of Advocates (4.5 points), the Bar Standards Board and the Solicitors Regulation Authority
MORNING CHAIRED by Philippa Watson, Essex Court Chambers
- 10.00 Welcome by UKAEL president Professor Sir Francis Jacobs PC QC KCMG<>, King's College London
- 10.10 The European Public Prosecutor, The Rt Hon Frank Mulholland, QC, Lord Advocate
- 11.00 Discussion
- 11.15 Coffee
- 11.30 Developments in the exchange and admissibility of evidence in Criminal cases in the EU, Mr Mark Mackarel, University of Dundee
- 12.15 A leap in the dark? The consequences of opt-out from EU criminal justice, Murdo MacLeod QC, Compass Chambers, Edinburgh, Delegate to the CCBE Criminal Law Committee
- 13.00 Lunch
AFTERNOON CHAIRED by Sir David Edward KCMG PC QC
- 14.15 The European Law Institute: Launch in the United Kingdom, UKAEL president Professor Sir Francis Jacobs KCMG, King's College London
- 14.30 How "fundamental" is the Charter right against double jeopardy? Patrick Layden QC TD, Scottish Law Commission
- 15.15 The European Arrest Warrant After NS and Assange, Professor Valsamis Mitsilegas, Head of the Department of Law and Director of the Criminal Justice Centre, Queen Mary University of London.
Moderator Bill Gilmore, Professor Emeritus, University of Edinburgh
- 16.00 Panel Discussion and closing remarks
- 16.30 Drinks reception