9 June 2017Time: 12:00 - 2:40pm
Venue: Room 2.1, Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London, 67-69 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3JB
The seminar on Recent Developments in Asian Commercial Laws features three critical areas of business law and operations in diverse Asian jurisdictions, such as China, Hong Kong and Singapore. The six speakers from Singapore Management University School of Law are experts with industry experience in various fields. The Information Technology Law panel addresses the regulatory frameworks on cryptocurrencies and unauthorized downloading. The Intellectual Property Law panel explores copyright law issues on the luxury goods industry and other contemporary trends in Asia. The Corporate Law panel discusses corporate reorganization in China and the rights of controlling shareholders from a comparative perspective. Therefore, this seminar will provide a holistic understanding of cross-border commercial law issues in Asia.
Chair: Professor Anne Flanagan (CCLS, QMUL).
12.00 – 12.30 Registration and refreshments
12.30 – 13.10 Panel 1 - IT Law
- Associate Professor Kelvin Low: Cryptocurrencies – Rights and Risks
- Professor Mark Findlay: Regulating Un-authorised Downloading: Theft's failure?
13.15 – 13.55 Panel 2 - IP Law
- Professor Irene Calboli: 3D printing and the luxury industry: the case for resisting the pressure towards "more" trademark protection
- Professor Kung-Chung Liu: Some Copyright Law Trends in the Major Asian Jurisdictions.
14.00 – 14.40 Panel 3 - Corporate Law
- Lecturer Dr Zinian Zhang: Control in China’s Corporate Reorganisation
- Associate Dean (Teaching) & Associate Professor Wan Wai Yee: Regulating Squeeze-outs and Delistings by Controlling Shareholders: The Divergence Between Hong Kong and Singapore.
For directions to the venue, please refer to the map.
How to book
This event is free but prior booking is required. Register online via Eventbrite.
For more information, please contact the CCLS Events Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photography, video and audio recording
Please note that CCLS events may be photographed or video and audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by Queen Mary University of London. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively you can email the CCLS Events Team on email@example.com in advance of the event that you are attending.