Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice, LLM PhD (Warsaw)
Professor of Public International Law
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 3949Room Number: Mile End
Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice holds a chair of public international law at the Department of Law, Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). She specialises in international environmental law; the law of treaties; and indigenous peoples. She publishes widely on these subjects. Download Professor Fitzmaurice's CV [PDF 63KB] for a full list of publications.
Her latest publications are a monograph Whaling and International Law, Cambridge University Press, 2015 and (co-edited with Dai Tamada) Whaling in Antarctic: Significance and Implications of the ICJ Judgment, Brill/ Nijhoff, 2016.
She has delivered a lecture on the International Protection of the Environment at the The Hague Academy of International Law. Professor Fitzmaurice was invited as a Visiting Professor to and lectured at various universities, such Berkeley Law School; University of Kobe; Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris I). During 2013-2015, she was involved (with Professor Valsamis Mitsilegas) in a multi stakeholder project funded by the EU Commission on environmental crime. Professor Fitzmaurice teaches undergraduate and LLM modules in international environmental law and the law of treaties. She also supervises PhD students.
She has also advised on the law of treaties and served as an expert in her areas of expertise.
- QLLM071 Law of Treaties
Key Publications since 2000
For a full list of publications, please see Download Professor Fitzmaurice's CV [PDF 63KB].
- The Interpretation and Application of the European Convention on Human Rights. Legal and practical Implications (co-edited with Panos Merkouris), Martinus NIjhoff Publishers, 2012, ISSN 1877-4822.
- Legacies of the Permanent Court of Justice (co-edited with Christian Tams), Martinus Nijhoff Publishers (2013, ISSN 1877-4822).
- Research Handbook on International Environmental Law (eds. Fitzmaurice/Ong/Merkouris), Edward Elgar, 2010, ISBN 978 1 84720 124 9
- Treaty Interpretation and the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties 30 Years On (eds. Malgosia Fitzmaurice, Olufemi Elias and Panos Merkouris), Queen Mary Stud8es in International Law (Marinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2010), ISBN 1877-4822.
- Contemporary Issues in the International Environmental Law (single authored) Edward Elgar Publisher 2009, ISBN 98 1 84542 283 7
- Contemporary Issues in the Law of Treaties (co-authored with O.Elias) Eleven Publishing, 2005, ISBN 90-77596-06-2
- Interrogating Treaties, Essays in the Contemporary Law of Treaties¸ (editor of the volume with Dr. M.Craven) Wolf Legal Publishers, 2005, 270 pages.
- Watercourse Cooperation in Northern Europe. A Model for the Future (co-authored with O.Elias), TMC Asser Press -ISBN 90-6704-172-6 (2004).
- Legal Issues of State Responsibility before the International Judicial Institutions (2004), (editor of the volume with Dr Danesh Sarooshi) Hart Publications, ISBN 1-84113-389-2 ( June 2004)
- Exploitation of Natural Resources in the 21st Century, (M.Fitzmaurice and M.Szuniewicz, eds), , ISBN 90-411-2063-7, Kluwer Law International (2003).
- International Protection of the Environment, RCADI, (2002), 480 pp.
- The Right of the Child to a Clean Environment (edited with A Fijalkowski) (Ashgate Publishing, Aldershot, 2000)
- 'Exceptional Circumstances and Treaty Commitments' in: The Oxford Guide to Treaties (Duncan B. Hollis, ed.) Oxford University Press, (2012) pp. 606-633.
- 'Indigenous Whaling and Environmental Protection'. German Yearbook of International Law vol. 55, (2012) 419-463.
- 'Dynamic Intermigration of Treaties' part I, 21 The Hague Yearbook of International Law (2008-published 2009) pp. 101-153.
Professor Fitzmaurice welcomes proposals for postgraduate supervision in the fields of international environmental law and the law of treaties.
- Founding member of the Centre for Law and Society in a Global Context (CLSGC)
- Member of the Energy and Natural Resources Law Institute
- Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice invited as an expert on the law of treaties for the International Law and Drug Policy Reform
6 October 2014
- QM Law PhD student to present research to Immigration and Asylum Tribunal
16 January 2014
- Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice will be Visiting Professor on International Cooperation Law at Kobe University, Japan
23 December 2013
- Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice speaks at a Conference in Honour of Professor Krzysztof Skubiszewski
3 December 2013
- Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice speaks on Rio Declaration of Environment and Development, Geneva
28 November 2013
- Queen Mary PhD student awarded ‘Modern Law Review Scholarship’ for Refugee Law Studies
18 July 2013
- Queen Mary introduces new LLM in International Shipping Law
30 January 2013