Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice, LLM PhD (Warsaw)
Professor of Public International Law
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 3949
Malgosia Fitzmaurice holds a chair of public international law at the Department of Law, Queen Mary University of London. She specialises in international environmental law, treaties, indigenous peoples and Arctic law and has published widely on these subjects.
Professor Fitzmaurice is currently one of the Queen Mary Investigators (with Professor Valsamis Mitsilegas as Principal Investigator) on a multinational interdisciplinary research project, European Union Action to Fight Environmental Crime (EFFACE), funded by the European Commission under the 7th Framework Programme for Research. This 40-month project (2012-2016) aims to assess the impact of environmental crime and develop effective and feasible policy options for combating it at EU level.
In July 2001, she was invited to deliver keynote lectures on 'International Protection of the Environment' at the Hague Academy of International Law. In 1996, Professor Fitzmaurice delivered a paper at the 50th anniversary of the International Court of Justice in The Hague.
She lectures widely in the United Kingdom, Europe (Sorbonne, Pantheon) and the United States (Berkley Law and New York University School of Law) and participates in many international conferences. She is the Editor in Chief of the International Community Law Review, Brill Publishers, Martinus Nijhoff (first issue published in 2006) and Editor-in-Chief of a book series ‘Queen Mary Studies in International Law’ published by Martinus Nijhoff Publisher (Brill). Until 2001, she was a member of the Board of Editors and one of the Editors of the Netherlands Yearbook of International Law. She has also served as a consultant to the United Nations Environment Programme.
Professor Fitzmaurice teaches undergraduate and postgraduate international law courses at Queen Mary, including International Environmental Law and the Law of Treaties. She is convenor of the LLM in Environmental Law and contributes to the new LLM in Energy and Natural Resources. She is an LLM convenor in international law at the University of London and Nippon Foundation Part-time Visiting Professor of Marine Environmental Law at the International Maritime Law Institute (IMO IMLI) in Malta, 2012-2014.
Professor Fitzmaurice's previous teaching positions include Readership in international law at the Department of Law, University of Amsterdam. She also worked at the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal in The Hague.
Key Publications since 2000
For a full list of publications, please see Professor Malgosia Fitzmaurice's CV [pdf].
- The Interpretation and Application of the European Convention on Human Rights. Legal and practical Implications (co-edited with Panos Merkouris), Martinus NIjhoff Publishers, 2012, ISSN 1877-4822.
- Legacies of the Permanent Court of Justice (co-edited with Christian Tams), Martinus Nijhoff Publishers (2013, ISSN 1877-4822).
- Research Handbook on International Environmental Law (eds. Fitzmaurice/Ong/Merkouris), Edward Elgar, 2010, ISBN 978 1 84720 124 9
- Treaty Interpretation and the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties 30 Years On (eds. Malgosia Fitzmaurice, Olufemi Elias and Panos Merkouris), Queen Mary Stud8es in International Law (Marinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2010), ISBN 1877-4822.
- Contemporary Issues in the International Environmental Law (single authored) Edward Elgar Publisher 2009, ISBN 98 1 84542 283 7
- Contemporary Issues in the Law of Treaties (co-authored with O.Elias) Eleven Publishing, 2005, ISBN 90-77596-06-2
- Interrogating Treaties, Essays in the Contemporary Law of Treaties¸ (editor of the volume with Dr. M.Craven) Wolf Legal Publishers, 2005, 270 pages.
- Watercourse Cooperation in Northern Europe. A Model for the Future (co-authored with O.Elias), TMC Asser Press -ISBN 90-6704-172-6 (2004).
- Legal Issues of State Responsibility before the International Judicial Institutions (2004), (editor of the volume with Dr Danesh Sarooshi) Hart Publications, ISBN 1-84113-389-2 ( June 2004)
- Exploitation of Natural Resources in the 21st Century, (M.Fitzmaurice and M.Szuniewicz, eds), , ISBN 90-411-2063-7, Kluwer Law International (2003).
- International Protection of the Environment, RCADI, (2002), 480 pp.
- The Right of the Child to a Clean Environment (edited with A Fijalkowski) (Ashgate Publishing, Aldershot, 2000)
- 'Exceptional Circumstances and Treaty Commitments' in: The Oxford Guide to Treaties (Duncan B. Hollis, ed.) Oxford University Press, (2012) pp. 606-633.
- 'Indigenous Whaling and Environmental Protection'. German Yearbook of International Law vol. 55, (2012) 419-463.
- 'Dynamic Intermigration of Treaties' part I, 21 The Hague Yearbook of International Law (2008-published 2009) pp. 101-153.
Professor Fitzmaurice welcomes proposals for postgraduate supervision in the fields of international environmental law and the law of treaties.
- Founding member of the Centre for Law and Society in a Global Context (CLSGC)
- Member of the Energy and Natural Resources Law Institute
Queen Mary introduces new LLM in International Shipping Law
30 January 2013