Dr Gabriel Gari, BA & LLB (UDELAR), LLM (LSE), PhD (London)
Senior Lecturer in International Economic Law
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8216Room Number: Lincoln's Inn Fields
Gabriel is a Senior Lecturer in International Economic Law at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London and Academic Director of the LLM in International Economic Law, where he teaches modules on International Economic Law, WTO Law and Legal Aspects of Financing Development. Gabriel’s main research interest lies in the regulation of trade in services. He has published extensively in this matter. He is a member of the E15 Initiative Expert Group on Services, an ICTSD and World Economic Forum initiative that convenes world-class experts and institutions to generate strategic analysis and recommendations for government, business and civil society geared towards strengthening the global trade and investment system for sustainable development. He has consulted for various international organisations on trade matters including the Latin American Export Services Association, Inter-American Development Bank, European Commission and European Parliament. He also did consultancy work for UNDP and UNICEF on judicial reform in Central and South America. In 2013-14 Gabriel held a visiting scholar position at the Trade in Services Division of the World Trade Organization. Gabriel speaks regularly at trade conferences and teaches abroad. He has lectured at the University of Bern (World Trade Institute), Università degli Studi di Milano, Penn State University (summer programme), Universidad de Montevideo and Universidad de la República. Gabriel is a qualified Uruguayan solicitor. He practised Employment and Commercial Law and worked for the Uruguayan Supreme Court of Justice. Gabriel holds degrees in Law and in Sociology from the University of the Republic, an LLM in International Business Law (Merit) from LSE and a PhD from Queen Mary, University of London. He is a member of the Latin American and Caribbean Research Network on Services, the Latin American Network on International Economic Law and the Society of International Economic Law.
Gabriel’s research interests lie in WTO law with particular emphasis on the General Agreement on Trade in Services, Preferential Trade Agreements and the law and economic development nexus. Gabriel’s current research is focused on GATS and twenty first century trade challenges, including global supply chains, digital trade, and financial stability.
- The Liberalisation of Trade in Services in MERCOSUR, (Cameron May, 2009), 269 pages, ISBN 13: 978 1 905017 84 3
- “Services negotiations: where have we been and where are we heading”, in Martin Roy and Pierre Sauvé (eds) Research Handbook on Trade in Services (Edward Elgar, 2016), pp 579-610 (ISBN 9781783478057)
- “Controles de capital y disciplinas comerciales en América Latina”, en José M Alvarez et al (eds) A dónde va América Latina en el Derecho Económico Internacional? (Universidad Externado de Colombia, forthcoming, 2014)
- “Limitaciones del Acuerdo General sobre el Comercio de Servicios ante el suministro de servicios por medios electrónicos” en José M. Alvarez et al (eds) Estado y Futuro del Derecho Económico Internacional en América Latina (Universidad Externado de Colombia, 2013), Capítulo 2, pp 175-202 (ISBN 978-958-710-868)
- “Is WTO approach to international standards on services outdated?” , Journal of International Economic Law, Vol 19 (3), pp 589-605, ISSN: 1369-3034
- “GATS disciplines on capital transfers and short-term capital inflows: time for change? , Journal of International Economic Law, Vol 17(2), ISSN: 1369-3034
- “Comentario sobre China –Determinadas medidas que afectan a los servicios de pago electrónico, Informe del Grupo Especial” , Revista de Derecho Económico Internacional –ITAM, Vol 3, No 2 Junio 2013, pp 111-148.
- “GATS and offshoring: is the regulatory framework ready for the trade revolution?”, Journal of World Trade, Vol 46, Issue 6, ISSN: 1011-6702.
- “International Initiatives for Reconciling the Sovereign Right to Tax with Free Trade in Services” , Law and Business Review of the Americas, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 55-67, ISSN:1571-9537.
- “The use of Free Zones for the Promotion of the Offshore Industry in MERCOSUR Countries: A Reasonable Choice?” , Inter-American Development Bank, Integration and Trade Sector, Policy Brief No. IDB-PB-138, pp.1-80.
- “Free Zone Incentives in MERCOSUR Countries and WTO Law ”, Global Trade and Customs Journal, Vol. 6, Issue 5, pp. 223-244, ISSN: 1569-755X.
- (with Takis Tridimas) “Winners and losers in Luxembourg: A statistical analysis of judicial review before the European Court of Justice and the Court of First Instance (2001–2005) , European Law Review, Vol. 35, Issue 2. pp. 131-173, ISSN: 0307-5400
- (with Professor Rosa Lastra) “Assessing the Lamfalussy Process: Successes and Failures” , Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law pp. 379-383, ISSN: 0269-2694.
- “Legal Instruments for the Liberalization of Trade in Services at the Sub-Regional Level: The MERCOSUR Case” , Penn State International Law Review Vol. 25, Issue 3, pp. 659 – 705, ISSN: 1546-3435
- “Trade in Services in MERCOSUR: A Pending Task” , 10 Law and Business Review of the Americas, Vol. 10, Issue: pp. 545- ISSN:1571-9537.
Other Selected Publications
- Expert Contributor, “Rethinking Services in a Changing World” Low, Patrick. 2016. Rethinking Services in a Changing World. E15 Expert Group on Services – Policy Options Paper. E15Initiative. Geneva: International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development (ICTSD) and World Economic Forum.
- “Frenos Culturales del Avance Científico en la Investigación Jurídica Nacional”, Revista Nexo – Facultad de Derecho de la Universidad de la República, Año 8, No 74, Agosto 2001, pp. 8-18, ISSN: 0255-0050.
- (with Professor Marcos Supervielle) El Sindicalismo Uruguayo: Estructura y Acción (Fundación de Cultura Universitaria, 1995), 124 pages (ISBN 9789974200500).
- “Trade implications of BREXIT”, Asian Correspondent, 23rd August 2016.
- “What can international standards on services for GATS?” E15 Initiative (World Economic Forum and International Trade Centre for Sustainable Development), August 2015.
- Presenter, ‘Multilateral negotiations on trade in services: an overview of the state of play and ways forward’, paper to be delivered at the 24th Annual RESER (The European Association for Research on Services) Conference, Helsinki, 11-13 September 2014.
- Discussant, ‘Annual Review on International Trade Dispute Resolution’, presented by Mr. WANG Xuehua, London Summit on Commercial Dispute Resolution in China, Centre for Commercial Law Studies, London, 6 June 2014.
- Presenter, “Implications of trade disciplines for export incentives for the service sector: free will?”, paper delivered at the 3rd Latin American Network for Research in Services (REDLAS) Conference, 3rd Latin America Network for Research in Services (REDLAS) Conference, Mexico City, 13-14 March 2014.
- Presenter, "Capital controls, GATS disciplines and the need for a more coherent global economic governance structure", Speakers' Series, Graduate Institute's Centre for Trade and Economic Integration, Geneva, 20 February 2014.
- Presenter, “Capital controls, GATS disciplines and the need for a more coherent global economic governance structure”, King and Spalding LLP, Geneva, 16 January 2014.
- Speaker, “Policy space for managing capital flows under the GATS: the Latin American Experience”, paper delivered at the Second biennial conference of the Latin American International Economic Law Network, Lima, 28-29 October 2013.
- Chair, panel on International Trade Law, Graduate Conference on Latin America Law and Policy, University College London, 15 February 2013.
- Speaker, Report findings of survey on rules affecting trade in services, Second Annual Conference of the Latin American Export Services Association, Quito, 24-25 October 2012.
- Speaker, “GATS and Offshoring: Is the regulatory framework ready for the trade revolution?”, paper delivered at the conference Offshore Services in Global Value Chains: new drivers of structural change in Latin America and the Caribbean?", Economic Commission for Latin America, Santiago de Chile, 18-19 October 2012.
- Speaker, “GATS and offshoring: Is the regulatory framework ready for the trade revolution?”, paper delivered at the Society for International Economic Law 2012 Conference, Singapore 12-14 July 2012.
- Contributor Expert, The World Justice Project Rule of Law Index 2012-2013.
- Dr Gabriel Gari delivers a webinar for the UK Institute of Export and International Trade
15 June 2017
- University of London and QMUL launch new Global MBA
3 November 2016
- Dr Gabriel Gari authors article on 'Trade implications of Brexit'
24 August 2016
- Dr Gabriel Gari authors article on 'Trade implications of Brexit'
24 August 2016
- Dr Gabriel Gari awarded an Erasmus and staff mobility grant to teach WTO law at the Università degli Studi di Milano
4 May 2016
- Dr Gabriel Gari contributes to the report "Rethinking Services in a Changing World" prepared by the E15 Expert Group on Services
25 February 2016
- Dr Gabriel Gari has been invited to speak at the Brown Bag Lecture series at the World Trade Institute in Bern, Switzerland
12 February 2016
- Dr Gabriel Gari in roundtable discussion 'TISA Challenges and Opportunities for Latin America' in Uruguay
5 August 2015
- Dr Gabriel Gari appointed Member of the academic selection committee for the IV REDLAS Conference
18 May 2015
- Dr Gabriel Gari to contribute to the third expert group on 'Services', E15 Initiative (E15)
11 May 2015
- Dr Gabriel Gari to discuss paper at the Oxford-Princeton Global Leaders Fellowship Programme
1 May 2015
- Dr Gabriel Gari to speak at 2014 ICTSID - WTI conference
22 November 2014
- Dr Gabriel Gari to present a paper at the second meeting of the E15 expert group on services
21 November 2014
- Dr Gabriel Gari invited to join E15 Initiative
1 October 2014
- Dr Gabriel Gari to speak at the World Trade Institute
21 February 2014
- Dr Gabriel Gari to participate in the Latin American Research conference in Mexico City
19 February 2014
- Dr Gabriel Gari to speak at The Centre for Trade and Economic Integration
17 February 2014