Dr Noam Shemtov
Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 8063
Dr Noam Shemtov joined CCLS in September 2009 as a lecturer in Intellectual Property and technology Law. He is currently a senior lecturer in IP and Technology Law and CCLS Director of Graduate Studies. He lectures in areas of intellectual property, creative industries and technology and his research interests are also focused in these fields.
Noam has led research projects and studies funded by UK Research Councils and by industry, supranational and commercial organizations, such as CreativeWorks London, CISAC, Microsoft and WIPO. He is currently conducting a study for WIPO on the interplay between the mobile application industry and its intellectual property ecosystem.
Noam also holds visiting appointments by Spanish and Dutch universities, where he lectures regularly in areas pertaining to intellectual property, creative industries and technology. He is a qualified solicitor both in the UK and in Israel.
- QLLM095 Intellectual Property and the Creative Industries
- QLLM017 Computer Law
- Software Patents and Open Source Models in Europe: Does the FOSS community need to worry about current attitudes at the EPO?, IFOSS L. Rev vol. 2, (2) (2011)
- Mission Impossible? Search Engines ongoing search for a viable global keyword policy, Journal of Internet Law, (Aspen Publishers) September 2009
- The characteristics of technical character and the ongoing saga at the EPO and the English Courts, Journal for Intellectual Property Law and Practice (OUP, July 2009)
- Searching for the Right Balance: Google, keywords advertising and trademark use, European Intellectual Property Review 30.11 (2008)
- Getting into shape, TrademarkWorld (May 2008) (Co-authored 50% with Gadi Oron, IFPI),
- Revisiting Arsenal in the Light of Opel and Picasso, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, OUP, 2007 2(8).
- The Protection of Graphical User Interfaces in Europe, in Research Handbook on IP and Digital Technologies (ed. Prof. T. Aplin), Edward Elgar publishing (forthcoming 2018)
- The BeatWoven Project, in Cultural Policy, Innovation and the Creative Economy, Palgrave Macmillan 2016, (ISBN 978-1-349-95112-3
- Circumventing The Idea Expression Dichotomy: The Use Of Copyright, Technology And Contract To Deny Public Access to Ideas, in EMERGING ISSUES IN MODERN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: TRADE, TECHNOLOGY, MARKET FREEDOM ESSAYS, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham 2007, (ISBN 1 84542 775 0).
- Beyond the Code: Protection of Non-Textual Features of Software, Oxford University Press (forthcoming August 2017), ISBN: 9780198716792
- Free and Open Source Software: Law, Policy and Practice, Oxford University Press 2014 (ISBN: 0199680493); Co-editor and author
- European Patent Decisions, Sweet & Maxwell (ISBN: 9780952000723); Co-Author.
- Member of the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute (QMIPRI)
- Member of the Institute of Computer and Communications Law (ICCL)
CCLS hosts Greek Alumni Reunion in Athens
26 April 2016